Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Diesel Conversion (Help a kid out)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Conversion (Help a kid out)

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forum but it's also been a while since I've had any new projects, but things outside of my control are putting me in between a rock and a hard place and I'm in need of some advice. I have myself a 99' f250 super duty automatic 4x4 with the 5.4 under the hood and 300k right around the corner. In the past two months a slight rod knock has been gradually getting worse and I figure it'd be better to avoid any issues down the road and just address the potential for any problems later down the road now. Long story short I'm wondering what would be necessary to do a diesel conversion for my truck. I know that there's alot of information online but I can't seem to find a clear cut answer. I'm open to different power plants as well. I've somewhat narrowed it down to either cummins 4bt or the i6, or fords 7.3 Now I would imagine that the ford motor would be easiest to install but then again i could be wrong. I'm also working with a budget around 4,500 bucks. She doesn't have to be some 1,000000 h.p. powerhouse, I'm looking more for economy. I just can't justify blowing any money on re powering with another 5.4 any info or help would really be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

7.3 requires a lot of electrical work. The simplest and cheapest option would be a 12v 5.9. mechanical pump.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Ok, is there a certain year for that motor that I should look for ? And how difficult would it be to bolt up to my trans ? Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM

98.5 and back are 12v and 98.5 and up are 24v. The 12v was more reliable and easier to work on, and also cheaper to work on if something blows up. The early 24v has injector pump issues and lift pump issues. There are adapter plates to to match it to the cummins but with those kind of miles you probably going to need a tranny as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Yea I've never worked on diesels but I have read up a large amount on the 12 valve cummins. Apparently there most valued feature is the simplicity. I've also read that the p7100 pump is the pump that you want, is it true that you can adjust your fuel plate and add some serious power ? Also, does 4,500 sound like a big enough chunk of change ? Labor is damn near free so I'm more concerned with the costs for parts.

Sorry for all of the questions I'm just ready to get that old gasser out of there
Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM

on the 12v there is no computer enhancements, it is about adjusting timing,intake, exhaust and fuel. Big power can be made with them for much less than it costs to get a 7.3 there. If you are patient you can find a good deal on a 12v. We bought one 4 years ago from a wrecking yard with 140k for 3500 ready to bolt in. Sometimes you can buy a truck in fair shape for as much as it does to do a conversion.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 AM

Oh alright, so it's a carbureted setup and not fuel injenction ? If so that's a major plus. Then I wouldn't have to worry about dialing her in where I want it.

My main concern is the tranny, I've looked up online on adapater plates, I'm just not sure which plate to go with. Most "fummins" seem to have been powerstrokes before there swaps whereas mine is the gasser, does the gas superduty have the same tranny as the diesels ? That would seem kinda odd if so.

As for all the splicing though it sounds like all I would have to do would be for my gauges ? Or correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No diesel has ever been carbureted... they are all injected bud.

You are honestly looking at a long hard road... pick you up a nice, fresh 5.4 for around $3k and use the other $1500 to add headers, exhaust and other performance mods and you'll be a much happier guy in the end. Most importantly add some gears! these trucks are heavy and what ford puts in em for economy doesn't cut it!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 PM

O alright, thanks for the clarification. I figured since I was repowering I might as well invest in something with some longevity and better mpgs. Maybe I'll stick to gas but then again...the idea of having a diesel is pretty enticing
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Alright guys well I got a quote from a shop for 1,500 to install the motor.
Seems like a pretty fair price, what do you guys think ?

Also, this shop is notorious for there work always being on point and honest.

http://tallahasseeori.com/

Quick Reply: Diesel Conversion (Help a kid out)