Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

95 7.3l blowby

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 7.3l blowby

Hey I got a 95 7.3l powerstroke and it has excessive blow by... I was just going to rebuild or replace it but I'm curious if I would have to completely rebuild it or just replace a few parts.
So I guess the overall question would be what cause blowby? And would I have to completely rebuild in order to fix it?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM

I'd just do the complete overhaul while you're in there. Might as well and she will run like a whole new monster when you do so!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe blowby is after the compression cycle into the combustion cycle the gasses blow by the piston rings. Causing low compression and low power. Your definitely going to want to do the whole rebuild but not everyones budget and time frame will allow it. But you'll need to check and make sure the cylinders with the bad rings haven't damaged the cylinder walls or the block will need machining or you will never get a good seal.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The PowerStroke engines are not build like the units in over the road tractor trailer rigs. The Cummins, Cat's, International, and Detroit engines in these rigs are designed to be quickly rebuilt. A PowerStroke engine even with it's International roots is not such an engine. In the case of the 7.3L engine in your '95 it is the International MaxxForce diesel in Ford clothing. Here is the latest version of your engine;

http://maxxforce.com/Application/pic...ne/MaxxForce_7 (see the picture below)

What is interesting about the MaxxForce engine is people where dropping them into F250/350/450's long before Ford ever thought about doing it at the factory. If you look at the spec's for the MaxxForce 7 engine it is rated for at least 500,000 miles. Just think with this engine when you are showing it off you can brag, yup this is the 5th F250 truck this engine has been in.

A manufactured 7.3L long block is about $4500 dollars, a short block a $1000 or so less. A completely dressed engine ready to drop in is about $11,000 dollars. It is easy to find a good machine shop that can do a gas engine. But I am very leary about finding a shop that can properly do a Powerstroke, and do it with a good warranty for much cheaper then an outright exchange engine.

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/index.aspx?PageId=1
http://roadmasterengineworld.com/die...s-c-73_88.html

The sad thing about it is unless you have no intention of selling your truck the cost of a proper rebuild will exceed the total present value of the whole truck. However when you consider the cost of a new F250 you could do a ground up rebuild of your whole truck for a whole lot less money. Just remember you would never be able to get your money out of it if you decided to sell it.

Here is a nice PDF about the 7.3L engine you might like.
https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/do...ble%20Book.pdf
Attached Images  

Last edited by transmaster; 01-24-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by TommySD
I'd just do the complete overhaul while you're in there. Might as well and she will run like a whole new monster when you do so!
Ya I can see where your coming from but I still want to save as much money as possible already got a **** ton in her
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ellis4pa
I believe blowby is after the compression cycle into the combustion cycle the gasses blow by the piston rings. Causing low compression and low power. Your definitely going to want to do the whole rebuild but not everyones budget and time frame will allow it. But you'll need to check and make sure the cylinders with the bad rings haven't damaged the cylinder walls or the block will need machining or you will never get a good seal.
Oo ok thank you makes sense but if I just change the piston rings and possibly get it machined would I be good?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by transmaster
The PowerStroke engines are not build like the units in over the road tractor trailer rigs. The Cummins, Cat's, International, and Detroit engines in these rigs are designed to be quickly rebuilt. A PowerStroke engine even with it's International roots is not such an engine. In the case of the 7.3L engine in your '95 it is the International MaxxForce diesel in Ford clothing. Here is the latest version of your engine;

http://maxxforce.com/Application/pic...ne/MaxxForce_7 (see the picture below)

What is interesting about the MaxxForce engine is people where dropping them into F250/350/450's long before Ford ever thought about doing it at the factory. If you look at the spec's for the MaxxForce 7 engine it is rated for at least 500,000 miles. Just think with this engine when you are showing it off you can brag, yup this is the 5th F250 truck this engine has been in.

A manufactured 7.3L long block is about $4500 dollars, a short block a $1000 or so less. A completely dressed engine ready to drop in is about $11,000 dollars. It is easy to find a good machine shop that can do a gas engine. But I am very leary about finding a shop that can properly do a Powerstroke, and do it with a good warranty for much cheaper then an outright exchange engine.

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/index.aspx?PageId=1
http://roadmasterengineworld.com/die...s-c-73_88.html

The sad thing about it is unless you have no intention of selling your truck the cost of a proper rebuild will exceed the total present value of the whole truck. However when you consider the cost of a new F250 you could do a ground up rebuild of your whole truck for a whole lot less money. Just remember you would never be able to get your money out of it if you decided to sell it.

Here is a nice PDF about the 7.3L engine you might like.
https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/do...ble%20Book.pdf
Thanks that helps alot but i only take this to diesel specialty shops that I know are good not just the run in the mill crap pusher
And I already exceeded the value of my truck and won't get my money back according to Kbb my truck is worth $8500 right now and I have about 12 in it so going over isn't really that big if a deal anymore haha
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a good diesel shop you are lucky indeed there are so many that look at these light duty diesel engines and the general ignorence many people have about them as an opportunity for ripping people off.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by transmaster
If you have a good diesel shop you are lucky indeed there are so many that look at these light duty diesel engines and the general ignorence many people have about them as an opportunity for ripping people off.
Yup idk what's up with people always trying to rip people off and do **** half aaa hell I'm still paying for going to best western transmission to get my tranny rebuild done the *******s either put the gasket in wrong or didn't put one in cuz now it's leaking a **** load out of the sides of my oil tank, gonna call em here today and make em change it for free should have known to take it to somebody else right when the guy said "don't go Into automotive this field sucks I hate my job" but I said **** it I'm already here let's go for it... And like I expected if you hate your job you ain't gonna do it right
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Aaa is suppose to be *ss

Quick Reply: 95 7.3l blowby