Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

7.3 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.3 wont start

My 2001 f250 7.3 won't start. The starter went on it, I bought a new starter for it and put it in today. I tried starting it ad just would click. It's been charging over a hour and a half, it stopped clicking and fumes are coming out of the exhaust but It will not start still? Can anyone help?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Also it's -30 degrees celsius
Old 01-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Check glow plug relay prolly not working.

Maybe glow plugs are bad.

Need more info too was it running good before it died? Are batteries good? Might need them tested. Did you check all your fuses? Is it plugged in because it is less than 0F.

Fuel can be gelled check the fuel filter if it is get diesel 911 and a new fuel filter. Half in tank and half in fuel bowl.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM

It ran fan before I managed to get it going eventually by letting glow plugs start about 3-4 times but today it's wayyyyy colder and won't start. It won't turn over and after about 5 seconds the truck lights and everything die out. But they are new batteries
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Check your batteries for proper voltage. Test your cables, one or more may be bad at the crimp. Add isopropyl to diesel fuel to remove water. Clean Fuel filter as it may be iced up also. If you fuel is gelling you may need to drain it. Warm building helps in this adventure. Check/test for bad fusible cable links. Test your glow plugs for heat. At this point a DC amp tester is a good thing to own, they clip over the cable and register the current thru the cable both Pos and Neg. Home Depot sells for aroung $125. It the best test tool in the tool box. Also is a VOM/multimeter. You won't be sorry to own it. It will tell you if your batter cables are conducting 200 amps at start up and if your alternator is charging 60 amps back to the battery when running. If you use starting fluid do not use your glow plugs with it as it will damage the motor. There are also 2 types of starting fluid one is much stronger / 80% / ether and will definitely not be good with glow plugs on. Ether starting fluid is safest with low compression diesels. You may find you have entered the time when the injectors need service. They simply spray a crap pattern into the compression and don't atomize the fuel, thus it starts like crap. Have you been noticing a steady loss of power as the temps cooled down some. But look to icing first before setting on the injectors. If you have 200,000 miles plus on it, then consider them. All it takes is the tiniest pieces of ice at the right orfice of a fitting or low spot in the tank to stop fuel flow. Usually you find several ounces in it though and it takes a perty good jolt of deicer to get it out.

Last edited by papa tiger; 01-20-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM

How long does it take for the anti gel solution to work? And how do you tell if it's turned to gel?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Not knowing how cold it is there it will take quite a while if it is at outside temps, and will not run the truck very well if fuel is thick. You will have to suck/drain it out. Getting it into a warm building will help a lot overnight. You have to get the stuff out of the tank, fuel filter and thru the injectors. It and the ice really messes things up. Diesel fuel is very thin and slippery when good. In zero temps it doesn't take much of the stuff to mess you up getting it running. I once saw it seem like motor oil and had 4" block of ice covering the bottom of the tank. It took a warm building and a couple hours with a steam hose to melt that block out of the plastic tractor fuel tank. Probably 20 gallons of mess to deal with. Tractor had to run as it shuttled RR cars. Someone / delivery / goofed and let a lot of water into the fuel. Sometimes you can see the grey thru the fuel with a good light. It's almost like snow slush floating around in it.

Last edited by papa tiger; 01-20-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Looks like my ring gear
Might be broken, because the brand new starter is making a funny noise
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Iam4x4
Looks like my ring gear
Might be broken, because the brand new starter is making a funny noise

If you don't have at least cranking voltage the starter can squeel, clunk and click a lot. If it is grinding, has a clink clanging sound it is starter drive clutch, it it refuses to engage, just whirs and spins check the teeth of the drive and flywheel, by turning the flywheel with a pry bar with starter removed and a good flashlight. V stops in 4 spots so you need to turn it around a couple of times to check all the teeth. Usually worn back like a 1/4" or 3mm +, means trouble if on a large area.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 PM

K I'll have to check I the morning with starter off. And it just sounds like the teeth are not grabbing together at all

Quick Reply: 7.3 wont start