Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

6.4 built trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 6.4 built trans

My 6.4 is at the point where i need to build up the trans and was wondering whats the whole process of it? My only experience with transmissions is replacing them and taking them out for clutches on big trucks, i've never actually opened one up. Im assuming theres some type of kit i need to buy? Is it worth just to save up and buy a built trans like a suncoast or something? I'm sure i could do it, just never have, if any whos done something like this could give me some advice id greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe it's more cost effective to buy a built trans rather than build yours up, unless you have a guy who knows the 5R110 inside and out. BTS and Suncoast make some pretty good trannies, and they have different kinds of packages depending on your desired power level
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Im roughly at 540-575 horses and 1050-1150 ft lbs. the only one ive heard people say good things about is suncoast, dont really know much about any of em tho.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Official Cool Guy

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Look up twisted diesel, just another place, haven't had any experience with them but I'm sure you can find out more on the org.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Not trying to grave dig, but do some research on the suncoast trans. Not particularly something I'd put in my truck, especially their convertors. Rudy's offers some pretty good package deals on their built trans. What are your plans for the truck. fwiw, I was well over 600 on a stock trans for over two years with multiple pulls and drags. Towards the end it was definitely on it's way out. Lots of material in the pan/filter and the TC slip numbers were getting pretty bad. I ended up doing a precision convertor on mine. Had one of the more local diesel shops pull mine, billet input/intermediate, billet hub machined to stack extra plates, billet ring gear, billet planetary, and did Alto red HD clutches. All the solenoids were replaced as well. I didn't want to chance them sticking after knowing their was a lot of material in the trans. Also installed a new trans cooler and lines for the same reason above. My first stall was for my single 80mm but I ended up restalling when dropping back to compounds. Precision, DPC, and RCD are the only convertors that I would run. Couldn't beat the price installed for it.

Skip the .org and head over to PSA. Elite offers greats packages as well, but can be costly. IMO you can get a same quality trans built for much cheaper. The big issue you'll end up having if you start adding more power is the input shaft. May want to check out the aermet 300m inputs. I know there were some experiments not that long about with input shafts for the 5r. One of the big issues was flex from the input that caused the to break. I can't remember which company ended up doing it, but they used a hardened input and had relief holes drilled throughout the shaft allowing for some give in it. Seemed to be pretty reliable.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BTS is the best there is when it comes to 4R and 5Rs he is awesome and I believe he uses precision brand converters, customers service is top notch as well
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Unless you're going full race or pushing huge power I'd stay with a 5r over a 4r. BTS does make amazing transmissions.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 ^^^

Quick Reply: 6.4 built trans