Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

2008 DPF Delete Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2008 DPF Delete Help

Hey guys, I had asked this earlier, but cant seem to find the post. We have a 2008 F350 dually work truck. It is safe to say it is strictly used for towing on the highway here in TX. Emissions are not a problem, but gas milage is...We are lucky if we get 11 mpg unloaded. Loaded, we get about 9 or 10. I have been looking into DPF delete kits as I have been told it can substantially increase MPG's. Is this true? Our company doesnt mind spending 2k if it is worth it. We tow about 12k pounds on average. However, we are trying to invest in a 24ft gooseneck so that may go up to 18k ish, What are my options, and what do you guys feel is the best way to proceed. Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
American Muscle

bump
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will get some better feedback on this if you address it on Powerstroke.org or some place like that. Spartan Diesel Technologies makes some fantastic custom tunes for the 6.4l. With a DPF and/or CAT delete kit and their Dashdaq tuner you will see a significant increase in MPG's and power to boot. One of their tunes is built strictly for towing and adds an additional 210RWHP. Check them out and hit up the diesel forums. There are a bunch of folks that will help you out.

Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

custom tuner, not a box tuner like banks or edge. look up sct or h&s. Egr delete and dpf delete. On powerstrokenation some guys see mpg rise from 14 up to 20. But to get the dpf delete you will have to get a tuner to combat the computer missing the dpf
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 PM
American Muscle

Thanks guys. I have seen that spartan tuning through googling other forums as well. I will start there I guess...If I buy what I need, will any muffler shop be able to weld in the new piping?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 AM
FN SWT

Originally Posted by dplummer87
Thanks guys. I have seen that spartan tuning through googling other forums as well. I will start there I guess...If I buy what I need, will any muffler shop be able to weld in the new piping?

No welding is needed...you can do it in your driveway. Just unbolt at the flange and replace the DPF with an after market straight pipe. There are plenty out there on the web...although some guys on the different diesel forums sell them (Powerstroker67 is one). IMO...the best thing to do is replace the CAT and DPF. It is an easier/cleaner install than the DPF alone. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
American Muscle

Ive heard there are some sensors down there that can be tricky...is that true...also...I see like 5 different options, 4" pipe, 5" pipe, cat/dpf pipe, dpf delete pipe, with and without muffler....etc, how do I know which to choose? Like I said, this is a work truck used for towing...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
FN SWT

Originally Posted by dplummer87
Ive heard there are some sensors down there that can be tricky...is that true...also...I see like 5 different options, 4" pipe, 5" pipe, cat/dpf pipe, dpf delete pipe, with and without muffler....etc, how do I know which to choose? Like I said, this is a work truck used for towing...

Definitely want to be careful when you remove the sensors from the DPF. Depending on what tuner you go with, you will have to re-install them on the replacement pipe...holes should already be tapped and ready. If you have the factory exhaust (DPF back) on the truck, then you will need a 3.5" delete pipe...the other sizes are for aftermarket exhaust systems. You don't need to worry about a muffler unless you are changing out the entire exhaust system. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
American Muscle

This is what Im looking at...Im assuming I want to keep the stock pipe...Is that correct or am I better to do like a 4"? I will be towing, so my EGT's are a concern. Is an Intake really necessary or can I skim by without it? So many options on those pipes, not sure which is really best for our situation. Thanks for all your help.
http://performancetruckproducts.com/...8-10-6-4l.html
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
FN SWT

I have attached a link below that will give you the delete pipe you are looking for. Obviously...the more horsepower you add, the more you need the truck to breath and release. You can get by with a stock intake and exhaust for a while; however, I would suggest you change to a CAI system and eventually get a 4" exhaust. I also put the Spartan website down so you can look there for answer confirmation. They have a forum as well with quite a few folks that have a ton of knowledge and experience. Good Luck!

Mike

http://www.spartandieseltech.com/

http://www.dpfdeletekits.com/dpf-del...werstroke.html

Quick Reply: 2008 DPF Delete Help