Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Street Queen in the Mud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Vehicle Advice

I'm going to start off here with a bit of background. I am a college student, living in Rochester, NY and for the past few years I have been trying to figure out what vehicle best suits my needs.

Over the past couple years I have bought and sold way too many cars and trucks, but I still haven't found one I really like in all respects.

I have had:
a 1994 Toyota Camry
a 1993 Jeep Wrangler
a 2000 Jeep Wrangler
a 1998 Ford Ranger
and Serenity, my 1999 For F150

There are a handful of things which I really want in a vehicle, which I haven't really been able to find together.
I want:
Decent gas mileage (Mid 20's would be great), as I don't make a whole lot of money at my job and I'm in school full time

4WD - Living in the snow, and being a firefighter/emt, when the weather is at its worst, I want to make sure I can get through it.

Being able to carry at least 3 people semi comfortably. My roommates and I are all from the Albany area so we travel together to and from on holidays. Given I'm the only one with a licence, my vehicle needs to be able to fit them if I want to keep getting thier gas money.

Being able to fit in a parking spot, Serenity is a little over 20' long and is a bitch to maneuver in small parking lots and in the city. Its wonderful on the farm and fine on the highway, but cities are a nightmare.

Some other things which I would like, but I'm willing to give up are:
Bed space/Towing capacity - While I often don't need a 8' bed, or even a bed at all, they are certainly handy while moving and you can make a buck or two by helping your friends move, not to mention hauling materials back home or towing a trailer.

Off road ability - Serenity can't really off road, but the ranger and the wranglers could, and they were great for it, and loads of fun.

Manual transmission - Really this should be more of a must have, than a would like to have, but it eliminates many SUVs which only came as auto, so I'm not completly set on it.

Also, to make everything more fun, I can't really afford to spend more than what I can get by selling Serenity, so maybe $4000-$4500? Anyone have any vehicles they would suggest I look at?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM