Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My First Retrofit Headlight Build

Here's my first retrofit headlight build on a 2012 Camaro LS. It had the stock halogen headlights. Opened them up. Painted housing, installed projectors and LED tubes, and sealed them black. That sounds a lot easier than it was lol.

Thinking about starting to do this for F150's, especially since I have my stocks laying around. Would be a lot easier than a Camaro. Had to pull the whole bumper off to get to the headlights. Pain in the ***.

Only part I don't like about this build is the LED tube strips, they are a little thick,but I didn't pick out the product and they were inexpensive. They are WAY brighter than I thought they would be though. And I hooked the Amber part of the strip to the blinker so it blinks with the blinker orange. I'd probably go with something a little more quality and slimmer on future builds.

Overall probably about an 8 hour job or so for everything.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Retrofit Headlight Build-img_4516.jpg   My First Retrofit Headlight Build-attachment-3-.jpg  
Attached Images

Leveling kit, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 20x9 +20 Fuel Mavericks, Westin HDX Grille Guard, 50" Light bar, Hypertech programmer, K&N Intake, true dual straight piped 4" tips, nexus 7 tablet install, coverking max 4 seat covers, weathertech floor liners, Anzo U-Bar headlights, LEDs
tmath23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Wondering Around

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

What paint did you use on the buckets? I'm going to do a retro hid on my extra set of headlights also. Should be interesting doing the first time.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Ford View Post
What paint did you use on the buckets? I'm going to do a retro hid on my extra set of headlights also. Should be interesting doing the first time.

Dupli-Color Universal Black. I don't think it gets hot enough to need a high temp paint or anything special. I sanded down all the chrome I was painting so it'd have something to stick to. It was a fun project but was a lot of work on this Camaro. I think these F150 headlights will be a lot easier though overall.
Leveling kit, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 20x9 +20 Fuel Mavericks, Westin HDX Grille Guard, 50" Light bar, Hypertech programmer, K&N Intake, true dual straight piped 4" tips, nexus 7 tablet install, coverking max 4 seat covers, weathertech floor liners, Anzo U-Bar headlights, LEDs
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Those came out great!
I noticed on your F150 you have the Anzo U-bar headlights. I'm leaning this way because they are unique...any hesitations or words of caution before I get them?
I have the 2012 FX4 so the video I saw shows they are true plug and play?
2012 FX4, 4X4, 5.0L ExCab,Tuxedo Black, Leather Int. w/ Red Piping. Side Mirror Blackouts, Back-up warning system, Raptor Style Amber LEDs, Wolo Big Bad Max Truck Horn, Trailer Braking System, XM Satellite, Custom Grill and Tailgate Emblems.
RogueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGT View Post
Those came out great!
I noticed on your F150 you have the Anzo U-bar headlights. I'm leaning this way because they are unique...any hesitations or words of caution before I get them?
I have the 2012 FX4 so the video I saw shows they are true plug and play?

No hesitations at all. I love them. I've only seen one other truck with the u-bars like mine and that was on Instagram, not even in person. I prefer them over the halos that everyone has. The projectors are pretty good quality and I can see plenty well enough. I only have good things to say about them, and yes, they are plug and play. It might would take me 5 minutes to install a set.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
Wondering Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmath23 View Post
Dupli-Color Universal Black. I don't think it gets hot enough to need a high temp paint or anything special. I sanded down all the chrome I was painting so it'd have something to stick to. It was a fun project but was a lot of work on this Camaro. I think these F150 headlights will be a lot easier though overall.
How did it go sanding the ridges? Did you have to use steel wool or something like that? I've seen some videos on retrofitting, does anybody have, a how to on retrofitting so a can get more informed?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
No hesitations at all. I love them. I've only seen one other truck with the u-bars like mine and that was on Instagram, not even in person. I prefer them over the halos that everyone has. The projectors are pretty good quality and I can see plenty well enough. I only have good things to say about them, and yes, they are plug and play. It might would take me 5 minutes to install a set.
Thanks. I did some shopping around and the cheapest I can get them is $436 from JC Whitney...with a promo code and free shipping.
2012 FX4, 4X4, 5.0L ExCab,Tuxedo Black, Leather Int. w/ Red Piping. Side Mirror Blackouts, Back-up warning system, Raptor Style Amber LEDs, Wolo Big Bad Max Truck Horn, Trailer Braking System, XM Satellite, Custom Grill and Tailgate Emblems.
RogueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Ford View Post
How did it go sanding the ridges? Did you have to use steel wool or something like that? I've seen some videos on retrofitting, does anybody have, a how to on retrofitting so a can get more informed?

180 Grit Sandpaper. Even if it didn't sand deep in the ridges paint still stuck fine. If I do my F150 headlights ill do a step by step write up on it. I just need to find the funds for the projectors and such. College is rough on the wallet Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGT View Post
Thanks. I did some shopping around and the cheapest I can get them is $436 from JC Whitney...with a promo code and free shipping.

Sounds like a fair price to me. I only paid $35 for mine. Yes, thirty five dollars. Got a great deal on them.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Wondering Around

Quote:
180 Grit Sandpaper. Even if it didn't sand deep in the ridges paint still stuck fine. If I do my F150 headlights ill do a step by step write up on it. I just need to find the funds for the projectors and such. College is rough on the wallet Lol.
A write up would be great! I'll stay tuned.LOL
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 PM