Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage Ideas

Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Garage Ideas

It's time to organize the garage... that's what everyone says every spring and it never happens. This year I'm actually going to do it and do it right. I'm looking for other people's ideas to go off of. Post pictures of your garage setup and how you have it all organized. It can be the layout of the garage, DIY shelving, whatever. Anything is appreciated.
GreenTitan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I like the classic peg board with hooks. And the pre-made stain grade cabinets from Home Depot. They sell nice red oak ones. Put a good stain and clear on it and you're set. Nice cheap diy and looks great. And you can customize it exactly how you want it to accommodate what you have.
Bossgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

When it comes time to re-do my garage I was going to use this idea for a work bench. Going to pick up 2 of the Harbor Freight roll-a-way large bottom tool boxes, position them at either end of the area I currently have for my work bench. Will build custom shelving in between them and then add a bench on top of everything. Will remove the casters and build a platform to keep them off the ground.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketMan View Post
When it comes time to re-do my garage I was going to use this idea for a work bench. Going to pick up 2 of the Harbor Freight roll-a-way large bottom tool boxes, position them at either end of the area I currently have for my work bench. Will build custom shelving in between them and then add a bench on top of everything. Will remove the casters and build a platform to keep them off the ground.
I like this idea, I actually hate the idea of hanging tools on the wall. Mainly because I do some wood working and would be nice to keep all my tools stowed away and out of the dust.
Doug06fx4screw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw View Post
I like this idea, I actually hate the idea of hanging tools on the wall. Mainly because I do some wood working and would be nice to keep all my tools stowed away and out of the dust.
I feel your pain, I like to make sawdust as well. The tool boxes arent crazy expensive and for HF China stuff, have some pretty decent reviews. I have a ton of tools, I just cant part with them even though I have redundant sets of tools, sentimental value. So the drawers will stow many of the extra tools I have once I get around to this project.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
SilverBullet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Subbed. ill get you some pics of mine soon. Im a cabinetmaker so dad and i made storage cabinets and shelving. And i made my workbench
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #7

My interest is flooring. It can get expensive. I put down some in/outdoor carpet but want that rubber mat that comes in pieces. Anyone find good deals on it? Those square feet add up quick.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Ideas-forumrunner_20150303_224937.jpg  
Stayyung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 AM   #8

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

ahh what are you actually looking for???

throw that extra crap in the attic.

or get ceiling mount storage racks
Eco-Mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

eco, our attic was built in an odd way. The house is two stories and my brother and I each have a room on the 2nd floor. Each room has a door leading to separate attics and both are full with christmas and holiday decorations. I would do ceiling racks for a lot of the junk we never use but the majority of it we use on a weekly basis. Its just all thrown together and I wanna better system than 10 minutes of searching for putty like I was doing last night.
GreenTitan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #10

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Organize Organize Organize!

I don't have a garage, my work place is a 12X14 shop in my backyard. It may be small but its holding a lot of stuff and is neat! I'm a fan of labeling and things having a place. You could ask me for any tool I own and could tell you which draw and where in the draw it's located. Guess I'm showing my OCDness a little.

Hang rarely used items from the ceiling, put in as many cabinets for storage as you possibly can, labeling just makes life easier, hang stuff on the walls and be honest if you havnt used it in over a year chances are you won't use it again. Store in a different area or get rid of.

Here's my little mancave! Garage Ideas-image-4125461409.jpg
This picture is a little old, it's changed a little since then. Another key to a nice set up is keep it clean. I will use a broom, shop vac, and or lawn blower at least twice a week to keep it clean. There's nothing worse than to go into your garage and step on a piece of metal that was on the ground from when you were drilling a hole or grinder earlier that day.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 03-05-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Z7What is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayyung View Post
My interest is flooring. It can get expensive. I put down some in/outdoor carpet but want that rubber mat that comes in pieces. Anyone find good deals on it? Those square feet add up quick.
I haven't found any flooring that holds up to weld spatter better than plain concrete..
dragging a 2013 JayFlight 26RKS up and down the Uintas
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

15 years ago, i had a garage that I put up peg board, and 'organized everything'. That cost multi-hundred dollars by the time I was all done. It looked good. That was 15 years ago, different house. Now..... Everything goes in stackable clear plastic bins. Total cost, less than a hundred bucks. Doesn't look as 'man-cave-cool', but costs a heck of a lot less. Plus, I can still move the bins around when I decide to rearrange where things go in the garage.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #13

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Cabinets are the way to go. Get on craigslist, and look for people remodeling, who are putting new kitchen cabinets in. Sometimes, you'll find them for free. Sometimes if you remove the cabinets from the kitchen, you get them for free. Some people charge around $10 a cabinet, and others want $2300.
K&N drop-in, Pioneer AVH-3300BT, Kenwood 6.5 components, Infinity coax., 800W Kenwood to JL Stealthbox, MBRP XP Series, Drilled/slotted rotors, Bully Dog GT, 2.5" HBS level, Advance Cover, Weathertech liners, 325/60/18 Terra Grapplers, EZ down tailgate damper, LED swap, LED puddle lights
powerranger262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayyung View Post
If you're looking for rubber floor matting to put in a garage I suggest horse stall mats. They're typically cheaper and wayyyyy more durable. I buy 4' x 7' x 1/2" mats from Coastal farm and ranch for about $30 each.
Koda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:43 AM