Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Diesel Question

So I know this is an F150 forum (thank goodness for the homepage or I would have no idea :-P) but I am considering purchasing a used F250. 2008 or newer as I love the body styles since then. My question is how are the motors in the different models since 2008. I heard that some power strokes had some issues. Which motor should I avoid?
JBLifted06F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLifted06F150 View Post
So I know this is an F150 forum (thank goodness for the homepage or I would have no idea :-P) but I am considering purchasing a used F250. 2008 or newer as I love the body styles since then. My question is how are the motors in the different models since 2008. I heard that some power strokes had some issues. Which motor should I avoid?
I'd avoid the 6.4. expensive to repair and they have some issues. If you want to hot rod it they are easy to make some good power out of I just don't trust the motor. Our F550 we have at work has been through two EGR coolers in 80,000 miles, Multiple EGT sensors, and I can't remember what else we've had to replace. Plus the DPF constantly needs cleaned and you lose a boat load of power and fuel mileage when it cleans it.

If you happened to get a 6.4 just delete all the emissions garbage and you might be alright as far as reliability goes.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #3
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

An 08 would have the 6.4 diesel engine. Below is the breakdown on the Powerstroke years and engines.

96 to 03 = 7.3
03 to 07 = 6.0
08 to 10 = 6.4
11 to 15 = 6.7
Franchi Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchi Motorsports View Post
An 08 would have the 6.4 diesel engine. Below is the breakdown on the Powerstroke years and engines. 96 to 03 = 7.3 03 to 07 = 6.0 08 to 10 = 6.4 11 to 15 = 6.7
How are the 6.7s in terms of reliability? I would also "hot rod" it.
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #5

How unreliable are the 6.4s? Veryyyy unreliable?
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

The main problem with the newer diesels is the EPA mandated emissions. It takes a lot of the potential power away. It is illegal to remove these items. That said, they run so much better without it. The beginning of the 6.7's had their problems as they were the first big diesel Ford has produced in a long time. Normal first series bugs. The 6.4's had their problems, but could be made to be a great powerplant. Horrible mileage, but great amounts of power. The 6.0's are kind of the red-headed step child to most people. They can be made "bulletproof" for around 3k and are pretty reliable afterwards. The 7.3 is my favorite. I'm biased on that one. Lol.

2013 SCab STX 5.0L 4x2, 3.31 Non-LS, Oxford White, Bone Stock (Traded In)
Manuellabour247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuellabour247 View Post
The main problem with the newer diesels is the EPA mandated emissions. It takes a lot of the potential power away. It is illegal to remove these items. That said, they run so much better without it. The beginning of the 6.7's had their problems as they were the first big diesel Ford has produced in a long time. Normal first series bugs. The 6.4's had their problems, but could be made to be a great powerplant. Horrible mileage, but great amounts of power. The 6.0's are kind of the red-headed step child to most people. They can be made "bulletproof" for around 3k and are pretty reliable afterwards. The 7.3 is my favorite. I'm biased on that one. Lol.
So if I could get a good deal on an 08-10, should I do it? Or should I just get a 2015 F150. Or a Chevy duramax. Haha.
Old Today, 02:44 AM   #8

I've been a diesel guy for years. I traded my '03 F250 with the 7.3 for my F150. I tell people all the time if you're not towing heavy loads, if you're not towing often, if you're not hauling long distances then you don't need a diesel. That's the reason I got rid of mine. The cost premium of the diesel, the increased maintenance and repair costs, fuel costs etc will never work out in your favor if you're not using it for a job that a gasser can't do.

There were 2 generations of the 7.3...94-97 and 99-03. Good trucks but underpowered compared to today's standards. The 6.0 isn't terrible but requires some investment to make reliable. The 07-10 trucks have the 6.4 engine. Also not bad once you delete the DPF and EGR off it but that's not possible if they emission test diesels in your area. Delete it and tune it and you're easily in the 500 rwhp 1000 ft/lbs range. The 6.7 is a good motor and makes good power even with the emission bs. Deleted they are screamers.

Recently the EPA has been cracking down on tuners offering delete kits making the kits hard to find and warranting a premium price when you find it.
LA Confederate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

No matter what you decide to do, make sure you research each one. I'm brand loyal to ford, but I still try to research everything. The 08-10's are straight powerhouses when done right. Just know that diesel will equal a lot more money. Well for the most part. If you have inspections, you won't be able to take off any of the emissions stuff or you'll fail inspection.

IIRC the 7.3, 6.0, and the 6.7 are single turbos. The 6.4 is a compound turbo system. That's how it makes all of its power, but at the cost of mileage. The best I've seen on a 6.4 is 16 highway. And that one was heavily modified. The 6.7's have gotten stronger with every year of production. I'm sure some of my information is a little off, but not by much. The 6.0 and 7.3 have hpop's for their injection system. I want to say they have since switched to a common rail system, but not for sure.

Good luck.

2013 SCab STX 5.0L 4x2, 3.31 Non-LS, Oxford White, Bone Stock (Traded In)
Manuellabour247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuellabour247 View Post
No matter what you decide to do, make sure you research each one. I'm brand loyal to ford, but I still try to research everything. The 08-10's are straight powerhouses when done right. Just know that diesel will equal a lot more money. Well for the most part. If you have inspections, you won't be able to take off any of the emissions stuff or you'll fail inspection.

IIRC the 7.3, 6.0, and the 6.7 are single turbos. The 6.4 is a compound turbo system. That's how it makes all of its power, but at the cost of mileage. The best I've seen on a 6.4 is 16 highway. And that one was heavily modified. The 6.7's have gotten stronger with every year of production. I'm sure some of my information is a little off, but not by much. The 6.0 and 7.3 have hpop's for their injection system. I want to say they have since switched to a common rail system, but not for sure.

Good luck.
All of your info is correct
strokin7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 AM