Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default converting a gas engine to diesel

Like the tittle says. Over the summer I somewhat converted a 11 H.P. briggs and strantton vertical shaft engine to diesel. What I did was set up a separate tank with fuel tank with diesel. And used mobil delvac diesel motor oil. Id start it and run it on gas until it was at operating temperature then turn the diesel tank on and ween the gas off. it run rough and cough alot until the engine was running only on diesel. Then itd only on about 3/4 throttle. Any more then that and it smoke me out. Then I took the head off and "eyebrowed" the head and it ran alot smoother and would open all the way up with out much smoke. Then While I was adjusting the carb. The crank decided to come apart.. not really sure what caused it. The engine wasnt over heated and it was about half throttle.

Has anyone ever done this before or have any information.. im sure theres a way to do this and it not come apart Without dump a bunch of money in to it. Id like to find a glow plug so I didnt have to get it going on gas then switch to diesel. I want to build a go-kart with my son. And I thought itd be different. Im getting another smaller engine to try again before I start on a horizontal shaft engine..
Also if people are interested in this I will post and explain what Im doing. but im deffenitly interest in any information on a similar engine conversion
Johnboy429bbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy429bbf View Post
Like the tittle says. Over the summer I somewhat converted a 11 H.P. briggs and strantton vertical shaft engine to diesel. What I did was set up a separate tank with fuel tank with diesel. And used mobil delvac diesel motor oil. Id start it and run it on gas until it was at operating temperature then turn the diesel tank on and ween the gas off. it run rough and cough alot until the engine was running only on diesel. Then itd only on about 3/4 throttle. Any more then that and it smoke me out. Then I took the head off and "eyebrowed" the head and it ran alot smoother and would open all the way up with out much smoke. Then While I was adjusting the carb. The crank decided to come apart.. not really sure what caused it. The engine wasnt over heated and it was about half throttle.

Has anyone ever done this before or have any information.. im sure theres a way to do this and it not come apart Without dump a bunch of money in to it. Id like to find a glow plug so I didnt have to get it going on gas then switch to diesel. I want to build a go-kart with my son. And I thought itd be different. Im getting another smaller engine to try again before I start on a horizontal shaft engine..
Also if people are interested in this I will post and explain what Im doing. but im deffenitly interest in any information on a similar engine conversion
Excuse my ignorance but how are you achieving the required compression?

If you really want a Diesel go-kart you may want to look into small diesel motors already out there. There are actualy a fair number of them. I have actually seen Diesel go-karts back in the late 70's early 80s.The one I remember best was using a converted diesel outboard motor. Another I think was some fringe go-kart company and they actually sold them that way ready to go.
Ratsan_Fratsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Wheres the fun in buying a go-kart. Theres no set compression ratio im looking for. I dont plan on turbo8ng the engine or dragging a sled with it. I can get more compression by "eyebrowing" the valve chambers and shaving the head. Then stud the head. I may even look into a sleve for the jug. And there ar tons of small diesel engines to buy. But this something I want to do with my son.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy429bbf View Post
Wheres the fun in buying a go-kart. Theres no set compression ratio im looking for. I dont plan on turbo8ng the engine or dragging a sled with it. I can get more compression by "eyebrowing" the valve chambers and shaving the head. Then stud the head. I may even look into a sleve for the jug. And there ar tons of small diesel engines to buy. But this something I want to do with my son.

Oh don't get me wrong. I am all for building your own Karts. All my karts were home built. My last Kart had a Honda Goldwing motor and tried to kill me every time I even thought about going for a ride.

I am just finding it hard to imagine converting a gas engine to diesel without it eating itself. I would also think a Briggs engine is far to soft to consider running under diesel loads. I was just trying to think of some alternatives.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Can you actually run diesel fuel thru a carb? I thought diesel had to be atomized via injection?
Doug06fx4screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw View Post
Can you actually run diesel fuel thru a carb? I thought diesel had to be atomized via injection?
For optimum proformance sure. All diesel really needs compression.
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw View Post

Yes, but it will probably stop working in even slightly cold weather and things like biodiesel will likely not work at all.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratsan_Fratsan View Post

Yes, but it will probably stop working in even slightly cold weather and things like biodiesel will likely not work at all.
Screw bio diesel. And as far as the cold. I live in west virginia it gets pretty cold fast. So itll probably be shut down in the winter anyhow
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM