Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Cigar thread

I have smoked a couple cheap cigars lately but im looking for some better cigars. I wanted to make a thread to talk about smoking cigars and for people to post some of your favorites.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I have a Cuban and a Jamaican cigar siting in my toolbox at work... I should probably use them up before they turn to dust.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Albert Einstein
sylver91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
in the house

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Cigar threads pop up from time to time; it's always nice to see someone new 'joining the ranks', so to speak.

You can get really nice smokes for $7 - $10 each, not a lot of reason to spend a whole lot more. Your local cigar retailer can help you select some to try, and as your palate develops you'll want to continue to try different blends and different manufactures.

As a novice, you'll want to stay away from the really heavy, full-bodied smokes as they'll make you sick. I've a couple of favorites that even I have to put down from time to time and take a break from, as they'll knock your dick in the dirt, make you wander around the little animals.

Here are some pictures of some of my favorites, including a few Cubans that are mighty tasty.
Attached Thumbnails
Cigar thread-misc-july-019.jpg   Cigar thread-misc-july-017.jpg  

Water's wet, the sky is blue... women have secrets. - Joe Hallenbeck
bajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
KBS

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

What do you guys recommend for a newb? I've done some research and taken advice from a few members here but I'm looking for something cheap yet smooth. I use to smoke padron 2000 years ago and enjoyed it. But around here they sell for $12 each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpatiolantern View Post
Every situation is a sticky situation......Thats what his initial stand for;

Klimate
Be
KBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I say backwoods.... :-)
Franchi Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Fuggetaboutit

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,037 Posts

My two favorites as of now are the Arturo Fuente 858 Lonsdale and the Puros Pooly. I'm fairly new as well, but I can tell a great cigar from a not-so-great one.

I get all my stuff from Thompson cigar.
2013 F-150 FX4 SCrew 5.0L V8 | Oxford White | 402A | 3.55 | Nav | Roof | OEM Wheelwell liners | Line-X | 20% tint | 3M Protection | Fox 2.0 Coilovers | CustomTruckSolutions Emblems | Tremor grille | Hanning LED SR 20" Lightbar | 20x9 Fuel Maverick | LT295/55R20 Toyo Open Country A/TII Extremes
HCFX2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
in the house

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you don't have a personal humidor and need to keep a cigar for a few days before you smoke it, I suggest going with a 'tubed' cigar; it will stay properly humidified in its tube for a week or so. Or you can opt for a seal-type Baggie and put a couple of Water-Pak or other humidifying devices inside it with your smokes.

I also suggest you go with the larger ring-gauge cigars, typically a 50 or 60 (the larger the number, the bigger the diameter of the cigar). They sustain a burn easier and are generally much less harsh. Make sure you get a good cutter and learn how to cut the right amount from the end, it is important for a good burn.

I've been smoking CAIN brand cigars for some time and they are always, ALWAYS a good smoke. Good draw, nice and even smoke, good 'finish'. I like the Nub version, in a Maduro wrapper. This is just a shorter version of their robusto, and gives you about a 30 minute experience.

The My Father line of cigars is another that tends to have good construction and a reliable burn. There is nothing more frustrating with trying to smoke a cigar than not being able to draw it properly, or having to relight it constantly. These My Father smokes, along with their other Jose Garcia line of products, are nice and consistent.

A newcomer to my humidor has been the Flor De Las Antillas Belicoso cigar (long name, huh?). So far I've been very happy with them. They seem to be much like one of my all-time favorites, Le Flor Dominicana...which are hard to get right now for some reason.

As for Cuban cigars, real ones are hard to get though not impossible. However, don't be fooled by the "mystique" of the Cuban, these days the offerings from Nicaragua, Honduras, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic are essentially just as good. In fact, most of the families that had Cuban cigar factories fled Cuba and established their name-brand cigars in these other countries, using the same seed they had in Cuba, and nearly identical growing conditions. I know fellow smokers who consider themselves "connoisseurs" because they insist on smoking only Cubans. For the most part these guys are posers that couldn't tell a $10 cigar from a $500 cigar. There are some really rare Cubans out there that sell for thousands of dollars per cigar, but that also means there are a lot of fake versions of these smokes, too. Don't get me wrong, I've smoked a few Cubans that I literally used a roach-clip on, and smoked to about 3/8" in length...that were so good they must have been rolled on the smooth thighs of angels, but even those I didn't pay more than $25 for. And they are sometimes inconsistent, so you go thru the hassle of getting these things only to be disappointed sometimes.

Hope this gives you some ideas, a fine cigar can be a really nice experience. The stronger ones will give you a marijuana-like "high", and if you enjoy whiskey, brandy, or Cognac...there are a lot of cigars that compliment these drinks for an even more enjoyable experience.

Water's wet, the sky is blue... women have secrets. - Joe Hallenbeck

Last edited by bajaman; 07-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
bajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
SilverBullet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Cigar cologne!!

Cigar thread-image-1346735686.jpg
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
KBS

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

you smell like a cigar? lol