Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Awesome individuals of the day

Old 04-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Awesome individuals of the day

We have a thread dedicated to the douchebags in life, I though I'd start a thread for those who kick *** and don't bother taking names.

I'll start it off with Sam Schmidt:

http://www.indystar.com/…/quadriplegic-indycar-te…/26051723/

LONG BEACH, Calif. – The gorgeous Southern California afternoon was suited for a car's top to be down, something Sam Schmidt mentioned after driving the Long Beach street circuit Sunday.
Yes, that's right: Schmidt, a quadriplegic since 2000, drove a specially equipped Corvette C7 Stingray car on the streets.
The former IndyCar Series driver took the track about an hour before the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, drawing a roar from the crowd and friends on pit road. The wide smile on his face showed the excitement over progress being made by Arrow Electronics.
"It was beautiful," said Schmidt, who uses his head and mouth to control the car because his hands and feet can't. "I just wish I could have gotten a couple more laps."

Along with Alex Zanardi, they're proof that physical handicaps have NOTHING to do with how capable a person is.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Awesome individual of the day is Rachael of Target store BrickTown in Chicago, IL.

I showed my e-gift card to the check out clerk and she called a supervisor. Apparently, I need to register an e-gift card through the website. We tried it on the spot, but it didn't work. I expected the supervisor to ask me to pay for my purchase in cash, but she didn't. Instead, she issued a credit for my purchase since the website was not working and I could not register my e-gift card. My purchase was quite small, so maybe that is why she was willing let me have the item for free, but it was still pretty cool of her, right?

Anyway, when I got home, I called customer service and they couldn't help me either. I figured it out on my own later on, though.
harryplacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
5 Year Member

Pretty much exactly what I was aiming for. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
5 Year Member

Default Damned cops, what were they thinking???

http://woodtv.com/2015/04/17/watch-m...all-with-kids/
. Muskegon Director of Public Safety Jeff Lewis told 24 Hour News 8 that the two men in the video — a sergeant and an officer — responded to a call in the neighborhood on Thursday and stopped to throw the football with the kids as they were leaving.
“They were just riding past and we stopped them and asked them can they play football with us,” Lindsay’s 11-year-old son Marquan said. “We first started to play catch right here in the yard. Then he said. ‘You guys want to play a game?'”
They started a game of two-hand touch right there in the street.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone postal View Post
http://woodtv.com/2015/04/17/watch-m...all-with-kids/
. Muskegon Director of Public Safety Jeff Lewis told 24 Hour News 8 that the two men in the video — a sergeant and an officer — responded to a call in the neighborhood on Thursday and stopped to throw the football with the kids as they were leaving.
“They were just riding past and we stopped them and asked them can they play football with us,” Lindsay’s 11-year-old son Marquan said. “We first started to play catch right here in the yard. Then he said. ‘You guys want to play a game?'”
They started a game of two-hand touch right there in the street.

It is good to see that there as Muskegon can be a rough town.
westmi2012eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
5 Year Member

Compared to the first post, this is fairly minor in scope, however, I like to give credit where credit is due.

Last year I went back to college, and have been taking courses online. The Professor for my current class has been outstanding. It's microeconomics, which has a tendency to suffer greatly in the use of imprecise language in a precise manner.

Unlike many of the professors in the classes I have taken, Prof. Jalili will not accept half assed work. He constantly presses the students in the class to gain a better grasp of the language. His grading probably isn't what many of the students want to see, but I, for one, appreciate the constant pressure to raise the bar. He won't read this, ( I don't see him as an F150 forum sort of person)but thank you, professor.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Cowboy of the Skies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Compared to the first post, this is fairly minor in scope, however, I like to give credit where credit is due.

Last year I went back to college, and have been taking courses online. The Professor for my current class has been outstanding. It's microeconomics, which has a tendency to suffer greatly in the use of imprecise language in a precise manner.

Unlike many of the professors in the classes I have taken, Prof. Jalili will not accept half assed work. He constantly presses the students in the class to gain a better grasp of the language. His grading probably isn't what many of the students want to see, but I, for one, appreciate the constant pressure to raise the bar. He won't read this, ( I don't see him as an F150 forum sort of person)but thank you, professor.
That is great to hear!
My flight instructor was a cranky old bugger and not many students liked him.
I really liked him because he pushed me hard.
I had 2 instructors, and the other taught just the basics...and if you were okay at it he said good enough.
Cranky old Wes pushed me damn hard to be perfect.
When i got my C license he congratulated me and told me i was good.....it meant a lot coming from him.
When i got my first job flying it was because they knew his reputation and called him.
My new boss said to me that if he says you are good thag means you really are as he is brutal to his students and its hard to get him to say they are just okay.....
I am glad my teacher was tough on me!
WestsydeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
5 Year Member

It's sometimes rough going back to school in your mid 40s. The Professors seem more like cheerleaders than instructors much of the time, and it gets irritating.

I'm not looking to be told how wonderfully I did, as I know all too well that in every performance there is room for criticism. I'm looking for critique and correction, not a pat on the back.

Judging from my e-peers, however, that's not what the majority are looking for.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
It's sometimes rough going back to school in your mid 40s. The Professors seem more like cheerleaders than instructors much of the time, and it gets irritating. I'm not looking to be told how wonderfully I did, as I know all too well that in every performance there is room for criticism. I'm looking for critique and correction, not a pat on the back. Judging from my e-peers, however, that's not what the majority are looking for.
I know how you feel. I started college in my thirties. A couple of my Profs held me to a higher standard than the class because they new I was trying to make something out of myself and not just check the box.

In the spirit of this thread I'll give two names.

Dr Rodgers - started as a prison hack at both state and fed levels - earned (I **** you not) several masters degrees and two or three PHDs while working full time - before the online freebie degrees. This dude was awesome to learn from, real life experience in the field of CJ, Criminology and Psychology.

Fred Behrens - Art History instructor. He couldn't have been more Gay and he was friggen hilarious. I took every class he taught. Effortless learning.
WarSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
5 Year Member

Default And you, sir, get a round of applause.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/27/i-gotta-s...orcycle-chase/

CHICKASHA, Okla. — A high speed motorcycle chase came to an end when a concerned citizen took matters into his own hands.
It was an intense game of chicken in Chickasha, where a Kansas man named Floyd Briggs came out on top.
The chase began near 8th and Iowa, and ended across the street from Briggs.
Police had pursued a motorcycle for some time, as the driver, Michael Coppedge, weaved through city streets and alleys.
“I said ‘I gotta stop this guy before he hurts a little kid,'” Chickasha resident Floyd Briggs said. “I ain’t no football player either.”
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM