Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Another "is it totaled" thread

Stopped for a long line of traffic and per my habit glanced in the review mirror to check if the driver behind me planned to but saw there was no way she was stopping. I don't know if she even ever braked. Looks wet but this is an icy parking lot. The roads were dry so it was a simple matter of inattention. Everyone was OK.

Anyone in the biz have a ballpark on what this repair might run? I realize its one picture so I'm just wondering if this is $5K, $10K, or more? I don't see any obvious buckling in the quarter panels and the alignment to the rear doors looks fine but the latch point for the trunk lid is pushed in a few inches more than the trunk lid itself and the floor of the spare tire well seems to be buckled. Every piece of plastic on the back is trash and there's some kind of electronic module (maybe for the backup sensors?) hanging down by some damaged but intact wiring. The color is a tri-coat pearl white I was previously told is expensive to fix. Car is loaded 2011 Milan Premier with 60K miles and WAS in great shape.

Just trying to gauge whether we need to be doing some preliminary car shopping this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Another "is it totaled" thread-20141121_224803149_ios.jpg  
matt_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't say "totaled" but if you were here in hawaii that would be at LEAST a $5000 repair
808f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

be surprised if it is totaled. Straight hit so frame probably isn't bent. Doesn't look like much more than cosmetic. Nothing really mechanical back there and that is where you get into the higher repair bills faster.

Not saying it won't be totaled, but doubtful with the where/how it was hit.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
5 Year Member

Thanks. There's some structural damage under the plastic in the morning light but looks like it's not into the visible parts of the quarter panel on the bad side. I just had no concept of what a repair like this might run.

We don't really want a different car so hopefully it will be worth repairing to the insurance company. Couple similar cars for sale locally that give me a decent idea on where retail value will be. I think they'll spend up to around $8-10k. Michigan is no fault so our insurance will make all the decisions and the behind the scenes they go after the other drivers insurance.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Looks to me like you need to go to a scrap yard, get a new bumper, and maybe a new trunk / corner light, and get it painted. Any frame damage?

http://www.f150forum.com/f78/my-1997...1/#post3698122
Red-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
5 Year Member

The trunk latch point is pushed a few inches forward and the panel behind the right tail light is pulled in with it. Spare tire no longer sits flat in the well. Drove it home (police officer said he thought I should since all the lights worked and the broken taillight even still displays as red since its led. It drove fine. Rear doors have good gaps still and the rear glass didn't break.

It's definitely repairable just comes down to the cost.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #7
5 Year Member

Here's a couple more that give a better idea what the structural damage is. there are wrinkles about half way up the spare tire well and I'm not sure the jack is currently removable from the right quarter panel area.

We did a little looking around today and the local Ford dealer has 4 Fusions similarly equipped with about the same mileage. They have an IDENTICAL right down to the color Milan but too many miles. Its priced the same as the comparably equipped, comparable mileage Fusions so we should have a real good basis for a local value.
Attached Thumbnails
Another "is it totaled" thread-20141123_162318986_ios.jpg   Another "is it totaled" thread-20141123_162408120_ios.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM