Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


View Poll Results: Should the electoral college remain or should it be switched to popular vote?
Yes, they should remain the way they are. 75 30.86%
No, it should be up to popular vote. 168 69.14%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #5381
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post

We are not cutting edge in the medical field. Where do people go to get the best medical treatment? Germany.
You're wrong. People go to Europe to get devices and drugs that are not yet approved in the US. We usually lag behind them 2-3 years in approvals with our FDA. Cutting edge skills and techniques are taught in the US
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #5382
Senior Member
 
volsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 9,042
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayandsam09 View Post

You're wrong. People go to Europe to get devices and drugs that are not yet approved in the US. We usually lag behind them 2-3 years in approvals with our FDA. Cutting edge skills and techniques are taught in the US
Correct. We are more methodical about proving medical treatment to be safe.
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #5383
Eat. Sleep. Lift.
 
amick218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 8,137
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Having access 2/3 years after the fact is really helping people, not.
__________________
The truth is that you may not have what it takes, you may not be committed enough, you may not have the discipline, you may not put in enough effort, you might not work hard enough, you do not believe in yourself, you're full of excuses, you get distracted too easy. To wrap it up in one statement: you really don't ing care enough.
amick218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #5384
Eat. Sleep. Lift.
 
amick218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 8,137
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

We're real fast about approving all these ****ing prescription medications though lol, ever hear the possible side effects they speed through? Some may even result in coma or death.
__________________
The truth is that you may not have what it takes, you may not be committed enough, you may not have the discipline, you may not put in enough effort, you might not work hard enough, you do not believe in yourself, you're full of excuses, you get distracted too easy. To wrap it up in one statement: you really don't ing care enough.
amick218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #5385
Senior Member
 
volsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 9,042
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post
Having access 2/3 years after the fact is really helping people, not.
Providing treatments - particularly for non life-threatening conditions - that have DIRE consequences down the road isn't helping people. The fact is that the worlds premiere doctors coming to the US for their education, residencies and fellowships.
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #5386
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post

I don't care what the average citizens get, that has no relevance on how technologically advanced they are. There must be a reason our top athletes and folks with money go there for treatment all the time. Why did Kobe Bryant just go for his knee procedure?
He sure did. Again, the limitation here is the FDA. He went there to get platelet rich plasma therapy (regenokine). A lot of athletes are going there right now for that specific reason. It has shown to exacerbate the healing process and potentially avoid surgery in some cases. Peyton Manning went to have it to avoid another surgery before this season started. My roommate from med school is an orthopedic surgeon. I talked to him about this about two weeks ago when he did surgery on my dads knee. He said that the hesitation of approval here is the adding of HGH to the blood in the centrifuge. It is unknown what that process does to the platelets and plasma as they try to regenerate in the body. Abnormally aggregation of these types of cells can grow into tumors and/or cancers. That is what we are waiting to see data on here. So... there may be a short term gain, and for them they believe it is worth it so they can play quicker, even though the long term effects are not known.

It is important to note, they're going there for a specific unproven treatment. Not for the physical surgery.
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #5387
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post
There's a reason people go there... Bryant couldn't find a place closer to LA? Lol what good is our tech if it's not approved for use.
One of the other reasons it hasn't been approved is because a lot of the professional sports organizations have argued it to be blood doping due to the added HGH. If it is approved here in the US before it is proven to be highly effective and predominantly safe, then the leagues worry that people will abuse the treatment to gain advantages. Researchers are trying to figure out if the HGH is the added benefit to this treatment or if it is in fact the rich platelets and plasma.
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #5388
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post
Having access 2/3 years after the fact is really helping people, not.
I agree with you in some cases. And for those cases, we have exceptions called IDE's for devices. Investigational programs can gain access to devices and some drugs that may be commercially available in other countries as long as they have been through their pivotal trials or first in man approvals here. Many times the first uses go well, until the one year follow up. This is a deep, broad sea. Many different reasons to test things beyond their initial successes. A lot of the devices and drugs that are approved and used initially in Europe aren't ever approved here in the US. Guess what happens when we we say they aren't good enough? The companies go to work to build and design better, and ironically the Europeans pull them from their shelves
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #5389
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post
We're real fast about approving all these ****ing prescription medications though lol, ever hear the possible side effects they speed through? Some may even result in coma or death.
Careful with what you see on the news. The FDA here and clinical trial processes are lengthy and laborious, and still don't show everything. No drug, be it prescription or OTC is quickly approved here
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #5390
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 236 Times in 177 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amick218 View Post
We're real fast about approving all these ****ing prescription medications though lol, ever hear the possible side effects they speed through? Some may even result in coma or death.


Amen brother. The FDA is a laughing stock of a govt agency. They rely on the blind studies and research provided by the R/x companies, instead of doing there own clinical trials and research before approving a drug. This is just like Enron/WorldCom creating its own ledger sheet and then handed over to the Accountants to verify the numbers. Those accountants look at it and said looks good to me instead of doing there job and performing an independent internal audit. All meds carry some risk, but today R/x companies are repackaging meds and reselling them under other names and the FDA is doing absolutely nothing. Human Guinea Pigs. The side effects are worse than the condition its trying to cure..We have a complete and utter failure of leadership/accountability in this country and thus we are where we are and going down alittle bit at a time..
Truck owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.