Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


View Poll Results: Should the electoral college remain or should it be switched to popular vote?
Yes, they should remain the way they are. 75 30.86%
No, it should be up to popular vote. 168 69.14%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #5361
Built Ford Tough
 
Ftruck150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 123
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocoog View Post
Keep telling yourself all that, it obviously makes you feel good about yourself and superior to people like me.

You never answered my question. Why do you like living here?
Good reply.

And you never once asked me why I like living in this country.
You did ask me where I would rather live.
Then typed, "Australia" followed by a question mark.


I like living here because it was where I was born, my family lives here (most of them) and I guess I'm currently content.
I doubt that my answer would be any different had I been born in any of the other wonderful countries around the world.

Do all of you really think that had you been born in a different country, that you would be staring out your window all day dreaming of going to the USA?
That your life would not complete until you could taste this sweet freedom that only americans taste everyday we wake up?

Try to put things into perspective just a bit.


This thread is a one sided train wreck from what I've seen so far.
I can't imagine any opposing opinions or ideas last long in here.

It seems any attempt at a rational conversation is met with extreme aggression by a small mob of pitchfork wielding patriots who believe in slogans like "love it or leave it".
Very few attempts are made at actually explaining ideas, just a bunch of shouting while the other guys come in to back each other up over posts which have next to nothing to offer in the way of substance.
Ftruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #5362
Built Ford Tough
 
Ftruck150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 123
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall View Post
Because FREEDOM

But seriously, I implore you to look up the same things you listed but for a year such as 1960. We've obviously become more liberal (anyone to deny that is out of their mind) throughout the years and it would be quite interesting to see how that shift has affected us. I'll await your answer
!

That's it - the liberals did it.

So this country has become more liberal while the rest of the world has become more conservative, right?
Which of course propelled all these other nations ahead of ours on the list of things which contribute to developed nations being "great".

Boy, things must be easy in your black and white world.

How many people that make posts like this were raised in conservative religious households ?

I'd be more than willing to guess that the majority of people that see the world in such a black and white way, as many here do, were raised in households where parents often discussed politics and religion in front of, or directly to, children far too young to be around such agenda driven conversations.


Also, funny how you had me stereotyped a certain way based on which state I live in. Not surprised though.

Last edited by Ftruck150; 01-18-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Ftruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #5363
Don't spreadsheet this..
 
cwrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.


I think there's a lot we could learn from our neighbors to the north
Unfortunately the majority of us are so ignorantly arrogant, perfectly content with believing from the day we're born, for whatever reason, that we live in the "best country on earth" (whatever that even means..)
I believe that I live in the best country on earth. I didn't believe that when I was born, but that's because I didn't even understand the concept of a country. I was more worried about breasts.

Does this make me ignorant or arrogant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
...why do you think people from the USA want to immigrate to other countries?

Lots of people leave the USA to live abroad everyday, by your logic, those countries they immigrated to are now "better" ?

The general consensus most of the world, outside the USA, is that Americans are ignorant and arrogant. Some of the posts in this thread only help to support these claims.

I honestly don't think there is much we rank "#1" at in this country other than number of citizens in prison/jail, military budget and obesity.
It's painfully obvious that we are the best country on earth, as 500,000+ immigrants were naturalized last year and only 2,369 (a record, mind you) citizens renounced their citizenship. Just sayin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
There's that black and white attitude.

I say the "best country in the world" discussion is completely ridiculous and makes no sense.

You assume that I don't like living here.


Australia.. ?
I say that your view on the "best country in the world" discussion is completely ridiculous and makes no sense. Now, try saying that to Kim Jong Un as a citizen of the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea". By the way, it's extremely hard to say that with a straight face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarSurfer View Post
wow. You're right, this place sucks.
That's sarcasm, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...n-the-world-at


We're number 1


#1 America has the highest incarceration rate and the largest total prison population in the entire world by a good margin. Some would consider a sign of our enlightenment. You know.. we don't just execute criminals on the steps of the courthouse.

#2 There are more car thefts in the United States than anywhere else in the world by far. Makes sense, seeming that a great majority of our population can afford automobiles (and multiple ones, at that), therefore we have a ridiculously large amount of automobiles in the US.

#3 Of all the major industrialized nations, America is the most obese. Mexico is #2. We have the choice to eat well, and that we do!

#4 The average American drinks more than 600 sodas a year – the most in the world. Some people love soda. Is it bad that they exercise their choice to drink said soda? I don't get the problem.

#5 U.S. corporations sell more fast food and more soda than anyone else in the world by a wide margin. I think that is a sign of success.

#6 Nobody watches more television per week (28 hours) than Americans do. Although to be honest, people living in the UK are tied with us. 4 hours of TV a day.. at least they can afford to do so instead of working 16 hours per day and only bring home $5 at the end of the month.

#7 The United States leads the world in credit card fraud. Stands to reason, as US leads the world in citizens with access to credit. You do know that having, and using, a credit card isn't a bad thing, don't you?

#8 The United States has the highest percentage of one person households on the entire planet. Some people like to be alone. *shrug*

#9 The United States has the highest divorce rate in the world by a good margin. To each their own. Some view marriage as a legal contract. Have you never ended a contract with anyone?

#10 The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the world by far.

#11 There are more school shootings in America than anywhere else in the world. We have more liberties, and access to firearms than anywhere else in the world. What we don't have is our government or militant groups bombing our streets and releasing nerve gas on our citizens.

#12 The United States has the highest child abuse death rate in the world.

#13 There are more “deaths by reptile” in America than anywhere else in the world. Scared to death maybe. Have you ever had a snake jump at you from a grass pile after mowing the lawn. It's damn scary, dude!

#14 The United States has the most lawyers per capita in the entire world. What I gather from this ranking, is that we have a lot of educated individuals in our society!

#15 The United States produces more pornography than any other nation in the world. Good 'ole porno. Makes those "lonely" nights a bit more interesting with audio and visual stimulation.

#16 Americans take more prescription drugs than anyone else in the world. Pretty amazing that we have access to modern medicine, no?

#17 More is spent on prescription drug advertising in America than anywhere else in the world. It is this advertising that reminds oneself that after 4 hours and it is still there, you should consult a doctor.

#18 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higher than in any other country in the world. Of course! .
__________________
Chris - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -J.R.R. Tolkien
cwrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #5364
Don't spreadsheet this..
 
cwrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post




#19 More people have been diagnosed with mental disorders in America than anywhere else on earth. We have access to mental health..

#20 The United States has the highest rate of illegal drug use on the entire globe. Marijuana should be legalized and taxed!!!

#21 There is more credit card debt in America than anywhere else in the world. Again, we have the most access to credit.

#22 There is more mortgage debt in America than anywhere else in the world. In some countries, you'd be hard pressed to have mortgage debt, let alone owning real estate at all.

#23 There is more student loan debt in America than anywhere else in the world. Our higher education and vocational skills can be expensive. It is an investment like any other.

#24 The United States spends more money on government schools than any other nation on earth does. All of our children have access to schools.

#25 U.S. citizens spend more time in school than anyone else in the world. So why are so many of us dumb as a rock? Choice.

#26 Nobody in the world gets more plastic surgery done than Americans do. Who am I to blame a woman for wanting bigger breasts? Bigger breasts are awesome!

#27 The United States leads the world in eating disorder deaths. What about deaths by starvation? I am sure we are fairly well fed.

#28 According to nationmaster.com, the United States has the most total reported crimes in the world by far. We probably also lead the world in crimes stopped by armed citizens.

#29 Nobody has more airport security thugs groping women and children than America does. My own thoughts of TSA aside, we also don't have too many terrorist attacks at our nation's airports.

#30 The United States spends much more on health care as a percentage of GDP than any other nation on the face of the earth. Our expensive healthcare doesn't stop people from other countries seeking our state of the art medical facilities.

#31 The United States has the most complicated tax system on the entire planet. I have always found my taxes to be quite simple.I think that's why they call it the 1040EZ

#32 The United States has the most laws on the entire planet. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you measure Congress' effectiveness by how many laws are created. Oh wait, other countries don't always have a Congress or governmental body comprised of representatives of the People? My bad..

#33 The United States spends more on the military than the next 12 nations combined, and yet the Obama administration is considering plans to unilaterally slash the size of the U.S. nuclear arsenal by up to 80 percent. It's expensive providing military personnel, small and large arms, and equipment for half the world.

#34 The United States has the most foreign military bases in the world by far. This goes hand-in-hand with us providing support and training for a large portion of the world's powers.

#35 The United States exports more arms to other countries than anyone else in the world.

#36 Americans spend more time sitting in traffic than anyone else in the world. I am thankful that I have the means and ability to own an automobile and sit in traffic.

#37 Americans spend more money on elections than anyone else does in the world by a very wide margin. At least we get a say in local, state, and federal politics. Laugh all you want, but there is a sliver of representation.

#38 Every single year, the United States has the largest trade deficit in the world by far.

#39 The U.S. government wastes more money than any other government on earth does. Hear, hear!! Or rather, "Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

#40 The United States has accumulated the biggest mountain of government debt in the history of the world. Other countries don't seem to mind us spending so much money on others.
Internet speak is hard to decipher, but please heed my interjections with humor, as humorous is the way I regarded your ridiculous list of #1 rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocoog View Post
Ftruck150 - What's your point? I get that you think that people who happen to like America are ignorant. Free county - you're entitled to your opinion, however narrow-minded it may be. So what what are you hoping to gain with your anti-American posts? If you think the people posting here (that you seem so contemptuous of) are ill-informed, you are mistaken.

Just curious... Why all the hate?

Edit: Wait! I get it. You're here to educate us! Well thanks, appreciate it!
Agreed, why all the hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
I never once implied that I think people who "like" America are ignorant.
That's quite a stretch.

Thanks for telling me that I'm entitled to my own, narrow minded opinion.

How are my posts in any way, anti-american!? That's absurd.
Like I said, someone would accuse me of this, and sure enough..

I'm bringing attention to how crazy the "we're number 1" attitude is.
It'd be just as silly if brits or canadians did it. The whole thing is stupid.

I'm not spreading any hate at all. In fact I think quite the opposite.
Those who constantly spew this "we're number one!" stuff, that's far more narrow minded and hate filled than me saying that making any such statements in the first place is silly.


All I'm asking is for someone to rationally explain how they arrived at the decision that the country they were coincidentally born in, happens to be number 1?
Every time the question is posed, in any format, it's met with angry "BECAUSE FREEDOM" or "WORLD WAR 1 and 2!!" type responses, none of which ever even attempt to elaborate upon all this "freedom" that, in their opinion, we enjoy while so many other countries can't seem to come close to?

My answer: Because it is only right that we take pride and happiness in living in the best country on earth. I wouldn't expect any less from Canadians, Mexicans, Germans, etc. Albeit, their argument is nonsense, as the United States of America is the best country on earth!


If those statistics do in fact teach someone something, than I guess yes, that could be defined as "educating".
Sorry for bringing numbers and stats into a conversation based on emotion and born-into patriotism.

Numbers and stats, how cute.

I like living here. But I'm sure there are plenty of other countries where I could enjoy the same quality of life, if not better, depending on how one chooses their own definition.

The main reason so many people dislike this type of patriotism is because it only causes division amongst people over imaginary border which the extreme majority were born into in the first place. It's the age old team mentality which is a turn off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarSurfer View Post
I have rationally explained it. The US has lead and continues to lead the world in numerous areas.

The thing your 'stats' ignore is freedom of choice. China beats us in grades - could that have anything to do with the canings?

When you have a totally free environment folks are free to underachieve, free to eat too much and free to read too little - that doesn't mean we aren't #1.

Ascribing nationalism to ignorance is silly. My opinion is no more valid than yours nor is it any more indicative of my intellect than yours.

Name another country where people risk death daily to escape to.

No other nation on the planet has had the global cultural impact that the US has. I bet all those anti-American conversations in France take place inside a Starbucks...
Very well said, my friend!
__________________
Chris - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -J.R.R. Tolkien
cwrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #5365
Don't spreadsheet this..
 
cwrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

^^I need to go find something to do..
__________________
Chris - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -J.R.R. Tolkien
cwrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #5366
Built Ford Tough
 
Ftruck150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 123
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

One last thing
The reason I brought up religion, aside from the fact that I've seen it discussed in here quite a few times, with the obvious heavy leaning here being from a religious upbringing, is that it's the overall way of how a religious upbringing is basically imposing your will, your way of interpreting the all the mysteries of life onto another human.
Not allowing them to live their own life, create their own ideas, beliefs and way if interpreting the things around them.

It's the attitude of knowing everything, having it all figured out, that seems to resonate heavily in the typical conservative religious folks that are always so vocal.


It goes hand in hand with the political indoctrination a lot of adults do to their children and from what I've experienced, it's far more prevalent on the religious/conservative side of things.


The type of environment which would impose it's ideals, beliefs and superstitions onto another innocent young being in form of religion, is the same type of environment that pushes political agendas onto children and creates this attitude of knowing everything, having it all figured out, my teams the best, 'liberals' destroyed everything. yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited by Ftruck150; 01-18-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Ftruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #5367
We'd do it
 
Just call me Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando,Fl.
Posts: 31,316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 29
Thanked 373 Times in 333 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Just call me Sean
Default

USA #1. F*ck those other countries, I don't live there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Cuyler
Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
Just call me Sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 AM   #5368
Nicer than ymeski56
 
XtraLargeTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado/Curtis, NE
Posts: 21,708
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 136
Thanked 437 Times in 319 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
That's it - the liberals did it.

So this country has become more liberal while the rest of the world has become more conservative, right?
Which of course propelled all these other nations ahead of ours on the list of things which contribute to developed nations being "great".

Boy, things must be easy in your black and white world.

How many people that make posts like this were raised in conservative religious households ?

I'd be more than willing to guess that the majority of people that see the world in such a black and white way, as many here do, were raised in households where parents often discussed politics and religion in front of, or directly to, children far too young to be around such agenda driven conversations.


Also, funny how you had me stereotyped a certain way based on which state I live in. Not surprised though.
Man, a liberal in Texas to boot, you must be tortured. Are they holding you against your will down there? I'm sure Opi can come pick you up in his trailer on his road trip Also, I didn't stereotype you, I stereotyped Texans, big difference.

So you're trying to tell me that a liberal atheist imposes absolutely nothing on their children? Excuse me while I clean up my keyboard. Of course parents impose their thinking on their children, that's the whole idea of raising kids is to raise them to become responsible citizens. Just because you don't agree with how someone raises their kids doesn't mean it's wrong. Abuse is obviously wrong but personally, I'm glad my parents involved me in discussions at a young age, I would even go so far as to say that I have a better ability to think critically than the average person because of it.

Your definition of what makes a country great is obviously different than "ours". As cwrose posted, nearly every single one of your listed "non-#1" attributes of America has a legitimate explanation. I'd also like to know what you consider to be the "best" country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftruck150 View Post
One last thing
The reason I brought up religion, aside from the fact that I've seen it discussed in here quite a few times, with the obvious heavy leaning here being from a religious upbringing, is that it's the overall way of how a religious upbringing is basically imposing your will, your way of interpreting the all the mysteries of life onto another human.
Not allowing them to live their own life, create their own ideas, beliefs and way if interpreting the things around them.

It's the attitude of knowing everything, having it all figured out, that seems to resonate heavily in the typical conservative religious folks that are always so vocal.


It goes hand in hand with the political indoctrination a lot of adults do to their children and from what I've experienced, it's far more prevalent on the religious/conservative side of things.


The type of environment which would impose it's ideals, beliefs and superstitions onto another innocent young being in form of religion, is the same type of environment that pushes political agendas onto children and creates this attitude of knowing everything, having it all figured out, my teams the best, 'liberals' destroyed everything. yadda yadda yadda.
Actually, religion isn't discussed here because of posts like these. To insinuate that only religious conservatives "indoctrinate" their children is pathetic. And the funny part, is that you're wrong. Whether someone is raised in a religious or non-religious, liberal or conservative household, they have all the freedom in the world (because AMERICA ) to choose what they believe in. You're trying to put people into boxes and it's not working out for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
USA #1. F*ck those other countries, I don't live there.
XtraLargeTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #5369
Don't spreadsheet this..
 
cwrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall View Post
You're trying to put people into boxes and it's not working out for you
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!!
__________________
Chris - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -J.R.R. Tolkien
cwrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #5370
Just Another Member
 
Theocoog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 78
Thanked 86 Times in 61 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey Ftruck150:

I've gone back and looked at a lot of your posts since you decided to grace us with your presence a few weeks ago. I noticed a very prominent theme among the ones I looked at: self-righteousness.

Regardless of the subject, you like to tell people that what they think is wrong. Go back and look for yourself if you don't believe me. Let me remind of something YOU said to another member on here: "Who are you to judge how another human being attains happiness on earth. Keep in mind that your opinions are just that - opinions."

That applies to all of us. So I implore you to move on if you don't like the thinking on this thread. You're not offering alternative opinions, you're just criticizing other's choices. Go back and harass Truck owner about aluminium body panels or something. Please.
__________________
2011 F150 3.5L EcoBoost XLT 4x4 Off-Road, 3.73 ELD, 6.5' Bed, Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
Theocoog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.