Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


View Poll Results: Should the electoral college remain or should it be switched to popular vote?
Yes, they should remain the way they are. 75 30.74%
No, it should be up to popular vote. 169 69.26%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #4861
Farmer with a Wrench
 
UPSbrown92custom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: where Fords come from (MI)
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Its just like all those farms that take subsidies for growing corn and soy. Don't they know that freedom means rejecting handouts and pulling themselves up by the bootstraps? Don't they know that they are supposed to ignore whatever benefits may be available and instead of serving their own self interest they should embrace my dogmatic political philiosophy?!
UPSbrown92custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #4862
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

spoken from a farmers perspective, get rid of farm subsidies. they are not enough to live on or really help when time gets tough. The $ amount you receive is based on acres the the corporate farmers make out well but in the end its still not enough to keep them a float. That being said I will start refusing them when after welfare is clean because in the end it's just 2 or 3 thousand dollar a year tax break.
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #4863
On more meds than ymeski
 
my67falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The most famous town you have never heard of.
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 530 Times in 320 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
spoken from a farmers perspective, get rid of farm subsidies. they are not enough to live on or really help when time gets tough. The $ amount you receive is based on acres the the corporate farmers make out well but in the end its still not enough to keep them a float. That being said I will start refusing them when after welfare is clean because in the end it's just 2 or 3 thousand dollar a year tax break.
Oh come on, you are livin' large on all that CRP cash :-P
__________________
Lakum deenukum Waliya Deen

See Falcon blog. Blog Falcon, blog.
http://falcon-whyihatemyin-laws.blogspot.com/
my67falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #4864
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
gone postal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NY
Posts: 4,442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I understand Ted Turner makes out quite well on farm subsidies, heaven knows he needs the help.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-jon-bon-jovi/
__________________
If there's anything more important than my ego around here I want it found and shot!
gone postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #4865
On more meds than ymeski
 
my67falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The most famous town you have never heard of.
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 530 Times in 320 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Welfare recipients can get away with quite a bit of fraud with little government concern. You have 1 cow go into a CRP field and you are paying the money back.
__________________
Lakum deenukum Waliya Deen

See Falcon blog. Blog Falcon, blog.
http://falcon-whyihatemyin-laws.blogspot.com/
my67falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #4866
Nicer than ymeski56
 
XtraLargeTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado/Curtis, NE
Posts: 21,708
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 136
Thanked 440 Times in 321 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Having the exact same conversation regarding subsidies in farming, mostly related to ethanol, on an ag forum that I'm on. It's hypocritical to be against gov't intervention until it benefits you somehow. There's 76K families that produce 80% of the food grown in the US and 114K USDA employees, that's just ridiculous. Get the gov't out of the free market...
XtraLargeTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #4867
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
gone postal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NY
Posts: 4,442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall View Post
Having the exact same conversation regarding subsidies in farming, mostly related to ethanol, on an ag forum that I'm on. It's hypocritical to be against gov't intervention until it benefits you somehow. There's 76K families that produce 80% of the food grown in the US and 114K USDA employees, that's just ridiculous. Get the gov't out of the free market...

Using figures like that is misleading. The USDA does more than regulate farming, though they have at least one division that was supposed to be eliminated in the 1980's which shows the ridiculousness of the bureacracy:

The Rural Electrification Commission was supposed to be eliminated, instead, it was folded under the USDA and actually employs more personnel and has a larger budget than it had before it was "eliminated".

They could eliminate pieces of it, but I'll keep our food safety folks, thank you.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/...USDA_ORG_CHART

I think most of the department heads could be eliminated, last time I checked teh government already had a budgetary agency......the org chart is just a touch bloated.
__________________
If there's anything more important than my ego around here I want it found and shot!
gone postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #4868
Nicer than ymeski56
 
XtraLargeTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado/Curtis, NE
Posts: 21,708
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 136
Thanked 440 Times in 321 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone postal View Post
Using figures like that is misleading. The USDA does more than regulate farming, though they have at least one division that was supposed to be eliminated in the 1980's which shows the ridiculousness of the bureacracy:

The Rural Electrification Commission was supposed to be eliminated, instead, it was folded under the USDA and actually employs more personnel and has a larger budget than it had before it was "eliminated".

They could eliminate pieces of it, but I'll keep our food safety folks, thank you.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/...USDA_ORG_CHART

I think most of the department heads could be eliminated, last time I checked teh government already had a budgetary agency......the org chart is just a touch bloated.
I'm not saying get rid of USDA, I'm saying make it more efficient. FSA comes to mind as it deals mostly with subsidies. Cut subsidies and you're also cutting much of FSA. Of course there are still the loan programs run through FSA but that's a whole different conversation. Our local FSA office is ridiculous, most of the people aren't doing anything when you walk in.

I'm not saying all gov't is bad, as is proven by things like food safety, military, etc. But bloated gov't is and subsidies are part of what needs to be gone. Unfortunately, that's mostly a pipe dream...

They also need to kick all the non-farm stuff out of the "farm" bill such as food stamps. People like to misrepresent that number as that farmers are taking all of that money when in reality, it's far from the truth.
XtraLargeTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #4869
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
gone postal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NY
Posts: 4,442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I love our media.

The Ukraine is quietly being positioned to fall back under the hold of Russia, reforming the USSR in everything but name, and the headlines are Mandela (important, but.....) and a big winter storm. Guys, it's winter, snowstorms happen.

Iran is one step closer to nuclear weapons thanks to Neville Obama, and dead silence.

The Daily Mail (UK newspaper) is running more stories about the abject failure known as Obamacare than our own media. (They're cozy with Drudge, but still no excuse for the lack of coverage in the US)

We get the government we deserve.
__________________
If there's anything more important than my ego around here I want it found and shot!
gone postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4870
Senior Member
 
Left Plate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West of the East
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 80
Thanked 97 Times in 71 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors! Never mind that man behind the curtain!
__________________
You can't fix stupid!
Left Plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.