Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2008-09 Taurus X, Anyone have experiance?

It looks like I'll be selling my '94 T'bird. I've had her for eleven years and it's been great. But I don't think I've put 500 miles on her since I've bought the truck. I'm paying insurance for a car that's not being driven, and just sitting there is not good for it. It's an excellent car and has been well kept. But it's time. My mother is up in her years now and has a doctors appointment pretty much every week. Usually more. Now she has a spot on her lung that may be cancer. So I need a vehicle that is easy for her to get in and out of. The truck is too high, and the last time I had her in the T'bird she had a hard time getting out of it because it sits low. My sister has been taking her around for a while, but she has an old '93 Plymouth Acclaim that is a little rough, and smells like smoke, because, well, she smokes. I need to get a vehicle that is easier for her to get in and out of. A minivan I don't want. So I've been looking on line to see what's out there. I initially came across the Freestyle (2005-07). It looked to be about what I needed. But it has the Constant Variable Transmission. I've read mixed reviews on it. Except for maybe being a bit under powered, the car itself seems to be well praised, but mixed reviews on the Trans's operation. After a little bit more research and I then discovered the '08-'09 Taurus X. It's the improved updated Freestyle. More power, 6-speed tranny, front or AWD. I would like an AWD but that's not mandatory. I looked at the specs for the Equinox, but it's not nearly as well equipped. Plus it looks a bit higher. The Freestyle is within my price range, But I'd rather move up to the Taurus X. I've found a few with a little higher mileage that is within my range, I'd like to stay around 6,000 or less if possible. After being sooo long winded, has anyone had any experience with the Taurus X? Or maybe the Freestyle? If I do choose a Freestyle It will be an '07. Thanks for any input or experience you can give.

Last edited by Scarlet; 01-06-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

My wife has a 2008 for 2 years now and we both love it. Had 8900 miles and now has 30,000. No problems and have had MANY compliments on it. It hasn't had any problems at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Wink

Thanks. I was looking up some specs on the '07-'09 Edge last night. It may be a possibility. Prices are about the same. In terms of standard equipment, they aren't equipped nearly as nice as the Taurus X. My main concern is how easy it will be for my mom to get in/out of the vehicle. My thinking is if I can find a vehicle where she can just pretty much slide into it, would make it easy for her. During the holidays she went with my younger sister to visit some family. She has an '11 Escape V6 with AWD. My mom said she still had to "climb" a bit to get into it. So I thought, at least looking at some pics, that the Taurus X might be a good fit. I've found a few of them and a few Edges last night close by. I'm gonna go take a look. Maybe tomorrow. It's like 6% out with a WC of -9%........Burrrrrrr. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

We've averaged about 22.4 miles to a gallon in the last year in all around driving. Quite a bit of hwy driving but a lot of 2 miles per trip. She has the Limited FWD not the AWD.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We had a 2006 Ford Five Hundred (same engine and trans as the Freestyle) and it was a nice car, just a bit of a dog. But still had enough to get you where you needed to be. Car was totaled at 70,000 miles. Had no major issues except for the heated seat on the drivers side stopped working.

Bought a 2008 Ford Edge FWD after that, currently has 90,000 miles, with only regular routine maintenance. The Edge's FLY, it is very quick for what it is, we get about 22-23 MPG and that's combined city and highway. Great car!. My great grandmother and grandmother both liked getting in and out of it versus their cars 2010 Milan and a 2004 LeSabre.
06screwlariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #6

Wink

Thanks guys. All good info I can use. I must admit that the CVT does bother me a bit. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the ads for a Freestyle usually state "As-Is". One ad even stated a trans. issue. "As-Is", is usually expected when buying a used vehicle anyway. But when it's stated right at the onset.....A couple are at New car dealers. Most are at "Buy here-Pay Here" dealers. I bought my "94 T'bird at one and it's been great for over eleven years. And my Dad and I sold cars this way at two car lots he had back in the late 70's early eighty's. The reason I want to stick with a Ford is because that is what I am the most familiar with, and like. I researched the Equinox and just don't like it. By most accounts the Freestyle appears to be a decent vehicle. Most of the reviews, and complaints are about the performance of CVT. I need to get out and look at a few models. I'm leaning towards the Taurus X. More power, 6-speed trans.. But, if I can find a nice low mileage '06-'07 Freestyle though, I may pop for that. I'll also take a look at a Edge to see how it compares. Odd as it may sound, ease of entry/exit is about the most important. So we'll see. Thanks again!.....
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hey scarlet we have a 07 freestyle and love it. Fully loaded limited. Not the fastest vehicle around but it is a famoly vehicle. We just got our f150 to kinda replace it because we don't drive the freestyle very much anymore. We are actually getting ready to sell it because of this. Where abouts are you located?
F150 Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM