Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Will not start....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will not start....

I have an 82 F-150 4x4 with a 351W Automatic that I can not get to start. The truck ran but was running a little rough the last time I drove it. I parked it and it hasn't started since. It would crank but would never act like it wanted to start. I've since replaced the carb thinking that was the problem because it was running rough and I've never actually gone through the carb since I've owned it. I've also replaced the starter, the solenoid, battery, plugs, wires, cap, rotor.... The motor turns over and tries to fire, I have spark, I'm getting fuel to the carb. It acts like the timing is off but nothing with the timing was changed prior to the no start problem. I've checked the firing order, it's correct. I've tried adjusting the distributor with no success. Is there a way to check my timing chain to see if it's jumped a few teeth without pulling the front of the truck apart? Any other thoughts on what could be causing it to not start?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pump? The diafram in my pump went out would give just enough gas to the carb to spray when you cycled the throttle but not enough for any thing else.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep! Fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel lines are all new as well
Old 05-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Ok, Old school way to check timing. pull #1 plug and coil wire, With help plug hole with finger over hole and bump engine until pressure stroke pushes finger out, using screw driver check how far the piston is down, remove screw driver and bump again, recheck until you think the piston is near TDC (Top Dead Center) remove cap and see if rotor is pointed at # 1 plug.

This will get you close

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GhostriderI; 05-11-2016 at 06:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It may also help to swap out the duraspark module (assuming it's there) and trace the multiple fusible links for possible damage.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
Ok, Old school way to check timing. pull #1 plug and coil wire, With help plug hole with finger over hole and bump engine until pressure stroke pushes finger out, using screw driver check how far the piston is down, remove screw driver and bump again, recheck until you think the piston is near TDC (Top Dead Center) remove cap and see if rotor is pointed at # 1 plug.

This will get you close

Hope this helps.
wile you have the cap off move the crank back and forth to see how much ''free play'' there is before the rotor moves. it does sound like it ''jumped time''.
the factory gear is a fiber gear and usually fails quickly.

Mike
Old 09-13-2021, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuel pump and fuel lines along with filter are new, still having same problem.
im 99% sure that the timing is correct. the timing gears are all lined up and the dist points at the #1 prong on dist

Quick Reply: Will not start....