Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Where to find a fuel sock for '86 carbureted

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find a fuel sock for '86 carbureted

Having trouble locating a fuel sender sock for the side tank on my '86 with the 351 carbureted. Anybody got a link? I've searched on Autozone, OReillys, NAPA, Advance and LMC but so far, no dice. I've searched here on the F150 forums, but the only links I've found in threads are usually for FI trucks or for later generations. Truck "ran out of gas" today, but it turned out the inline fuel filter was packed solid with bug legs. This truck was parked for a long time, and I'm guessing there was a wasp nest built in the side tank I was running from. Shouldn't have been able to get to that filter if the sender sock was still intact.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure if this is it?
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Send...uctinfo/30290/

I am sure you could make something work. Or maybe add an inline filter at the tank..........
The following users liked this post:
Route 66 Rambler (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

That looks like what was on my new sending unit for my 16gal side tank.
The following users liked this post:
Route 66 Rambler (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:45 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah, thanks! That looks like it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

I'll be dropping the tank for a thorough cleaning this weekend, and then I can be certain of the diameter. I do have a couple for my old Ramblers around, but those are for a 5/16 fuel pickup tube, and I figured since the rest of the fuel lines are 3/8 on this truck, that the sender's pickup tube would also be 3/8.

If I couldn't find one I was just going to drill one of those Rambler parts out to fit. Never really thought about checking the Bronco parts, good angle to remember

The rear tank isn't hooked up at the moment, but I'll drop that one for a good cleaning, too. Just bought this truck a few months ago for 900 bucks, the engine runs like a clock but just about everything else in the engine compartment needs some work.

The F150 page in your signature seems like it might be helpful, too.
-mike
Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 AM

Yup, dropped it today. Fuel pickup tube is 3/8, and wasp nest + disintegrated fuel sock = fuel filter jammed with bug legs.

Quick Reply: Where to find a fuel sock for '86 carbureted