Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Vacuum lines...

Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Vacuum lines...

Ok...So I tore the carb apart on my 351W...the guy I got it from was a retard and had it all jacked up...Got the carb in pretty good shape, but....the lines?? The fat one coming out the back had a cut-off RCA connector jammed in it as a sort of plug...one of the random lines lying on the intake manifold has a screw in it to plug that...I'm lost. Can someone with a 7th gen 351W please do me a huge favor and tell me which port on the carb leads to what? Shouldn't be real hard..only like 6 lines. The majority of which I know where they go to...not necessarily where they SHOULD go to, but where they currently do. A couple are all cracked, so....yay, vacuum leaks! Gonna replace them all tomorrow, but I need to know what those other two go to..(one of which is the fat one coming out the back...) And also, on the air filter housing....The metal shroud is there...but no preheater hose or anything...and there's a random hose leading out of the top front just hanging. Where does that go? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AsphaultSailor
Ok...So I tore the carb apart on my 351W...the guy I got it from was a retard and had it all jacked up...Got the carb in pretty good shape, but....the lines?? The fat one coming out the back had a cut-off RCA connector jammed in it as a sort of plug...one of the random lines lying on the intake manifold has a screw in it to plug that...I'm lost. Can someone with a 7th gen 351W please do me a huge favor and tell me which port on the carb leads to what? Shouldn't be real hard..only like 6 lines. The majority of which I know where they go to...not necessarily where they SHOULD go to, but where they currently do. A couple are all cracked, so....yay, vacuum leaks! Gonna replace them all tomorrow, but I need to know what those other two go to..(one of which is the fat one coming out the back...) And also, on the air filter housing....The metal shroud is there...but no preheater hose or anything...and there's a random hose leading out of the top front just hanging. Where does that go? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Only vacuum lines you "need" are for the distributor vac advance. Find a port on the carb that has vacuum while the throttle opens, but no vacuum @ idle. If its the Motorcraft carb built by holley it will be on the side of the carb towards the front. Under the front or back of the carbis a large vacuum port that is for your brake booster. One constant vacuum should lead to the vacuum reservoir( looks like a coffee can). For your dash items you should have a black vacuum line from the vacuum distribution block( on the firewall) to the dash components. one line from the vacuum reservoir should go to the vacuum distribution tee. Now I am going off of memory here. so I might be off. basically you need constant vac to the dash, open throttle vac to the dist and constant vac to the brakes. The rest of it is emission control crud.

I almost forgot, you need a constant vacuum to the modulator on the transmission if its an Auto.

Last edited by NGM; 04-10-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....so...here's the deal. Got the carb back together, turned up the idle..The tach doesn't work...all my dash instruments are dead. Idles kinda high, but it runs pretty good in park. Put it in gear, though and it dies right away. wtf...What's up with that? Any tranny problems should result in just not going anywhere or noise...not just killing the engine. So...I have 4 questions. 1. How do I get my dash instruments to work? No auto parts stores sell a cable...so how does that work? 2. Any ideas on the trans? 3. The electric choke...The vacuum line hooks up to the little plunger that's supposed to engage/disengage the choke, I guess....full plung or not, doesn't change the angle of the choke....so...what's up with that? And, 4. On the forward end of the throttle linkage, there's a little solenoid that the wire is cut to. Where should that wire go, and should that solenoid be activated? 'Cause even at full-close, it doesn't touch it. Anyone with help would be great! Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AsphaultSailor
Ok....so...here's the deal. Got the carb back together, turned up the idle..The tach doesn't work...all my dash instruments are dead. Idles kinda high, but it runs pretty good in park. Put it in gear, though and it dies right away. wtf...What's up with that? Any tranny problems should result in just not going anywhere or noise...not just killing the engine. So...I have 4 questions. 1. How do I get my dash instruments to work? No auto parts stores sell a cable...so how does that work? 2. Any ideas on the trans? 3. The electric choke...The vacuum line hooks up to the little plunger that's supposed to engage/disengage the choke, I guess....full plung or not, doesn't change the angle of the choke....so...what's up with that? And, 4. On the forward end of the throttle linkage, there's a little solenoid that the wire is cut to. Where should that wire go, and should that solenoid be activated? 'Cause even at full-close, it doesn't touch it. Anyone with help would be great! Thanks!!
Sounds like you need a new Carb. I still say get an Edelbrock intake and carb.
Can't help on the Dash instruments over the net.
You can get a universal cable at Advance or Autozone if I am not misstaken.
On the Choke see new carb line
The actuator on the throttle linkage is the idle up for the A/C.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum lines...