Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Updating 4 speed grannie to 5 speed (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Updating 4 speed grannie to 5 speed (need help)

I have a stock 1986 F150, 6cy, 4 speed grannie tranny and I want to up date my tranny to a newer 5 speed. I believe the tranny that I am looking for is a MSOD-R2? Has anyone out there done this to a 1980-1986 F150? If you have I could use your advice. I know it will physically bolt up, but what about the hydraulic clutch? Mine is also 4x4 and I need to know if my stock transfer will bolt to the 5 speed? I need to do this is cheap as possible also. I am planning on upgrading to the 11" clutch disk. Will I be able to use my stock flywheel or will i need to get the one from the donor vehicle? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 speed swap

hey im new to this forum but not this truck. i did this swap to my 86 f150 4x4 last year only diff is mine is 302 and factory auto trans. yes trans will bolt up transfer case may bolt up i had to replace mine. the cross member where the trans mount is located will have to be moved back. the m50d is longer than the 4 speed and the auto. this will also require a shorter drive shaft. ur truck should already be hydro clutch u will most likley need to get a line for a 90 f150 due to the fact the slave is internal in the 5 speed and it makes i little bit diffrent bend than the 4 speed line. the flywheel should have the bolt holes in it for both 10 and 11 inch clutch but would probably be a good idea to replace. here is the kicker this trans is taller than the ones that were manufactured 80-86 this means the trans is gonna hit the cab (mine still does) also with it being longer the transfer case will be farther back as well so it is also gonna hit some especially when ur driving it hard, it will torque up and hit the floor board under the seat. last problem is the speedo mine has the cable and the 2 prong plug for the computer the way it sits in the tranfercase it allows the plug in to hit the floor too so u will be breaking them like crazy. if u take the bracket that holds it in off and turn the sensor 180 degrees it wont happen as much. also with the speedo the gear will most likley need to be replaced with a different one if u swap the t case or ur speedo will be off.
The following users liked this post:
desertprep (11-04-2023)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 speed swap

and just out of curiosity why are you swapping them out?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM

I appreciate the advice and the reason that I am switching out the Grannie 4 speed is because I simply don't use it often enough to justify keeping it plus I am looking for a little more top end with the truck. As it is now the 6cy is wound up tight at 65 and I need this engine to last for a while as I just rebuilt it myself. About the only time I use the grannie gear is when I pull my boat after loading it up from a fishing trip. I really don't even need it for that I just use it. One more reason is the 4 speed is starting to get tired and will need rebuilt soon because the 2-3 synchronizer is going bad, so I am just going to rebuild the 5 speed overdrive transmission before I install it in my truck. I apprciate the inside scoop on rubbing on the cab and I will certainly clearance the cab before I reinstall the new transmission. I just need to know if my transfer will bolt on to the new transmission because there is no need to replace that is I don't need to. I am aware that I will need to lengthen the drive shafts to get it to work which shouldn't be a problem......had to do it in the past and I know a goot machine shop to do it for me. I appreciate the advice and take care.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
April 2010 TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are three 5-speed manual transmissions that will fit your 4.9L engine.

1996 F-150 / F-250 Manual Transmission Code = C for the ZF Close Ratio.
1996 F-150 / F-250 Manual Transmission Code = W for the ZF Wide Ratio.
1996 F-150 Manual Transmission Code = M for the Mazda M50D-R2
Get a second opinion on these Codes before you actually purchase the transmission.
Because things change from year to year sometimes.

The F-250 ZF 5-speed manual (M5HD - ZF S5-47) is the one you want.

The Mazda (M5OD-R2) manual transmission is the one you do not want.
But, some people have no problem with the light-duty Mazda transmission,
it shifts quicker and smother than the heavy-duty ZF.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two top holes on the transmission bell-housing and rear of the 4.9L, 5.0L & 5.8L
engine measure 5 1/8" Center to Center. (351W & 351C)

Note: If you were to buy a manual transmission from behind a 5.0L engine,
do not use the 5.0L flywheel / Pressure Plate on your 4.9L engine.
(The 4.9L is internally balanced and the 5.0L and 5.8L are externally balanced engines)

Also, while you have the transmission out of your truck,
this would be a good time to replace the Rear Main Seal on your engine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZF is a heavy duty 5-speed manual transmission and has two different ratios.

ZF S5-47 Close Ratio:
1: 4.14
2: 2.37
3: 1.42
4: 1.00
5: 0.77
R: 3.79

ZF S5-42 Wide Ratio:
1: 5.72
2: 2.94
3: 1.61
4: 1.00
5: 0.76
R: 5.24

ZF Lemförder Fahrwerktechnik AG & Co.
KG makes the ZF trans. Heavy equipment manufacturer out of Germany

How to recognize the transmissions:

Mazda = Horizontal and vertical ribs.
ZF5 = Diagonal ribs and PTO cover

Just my 2-cents.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 AM

Hi all! I am new. This thread is informative but over my head with the gear ratio and type. I recently bought an 86 4x4 with 4.9 and 4 speed transmission. I would like to get specific performance from my truck. I want to be able to drive freeway speeds for distance and spare the engine. I also need a off road ability (a first gear for trail driving and ability to start in gear) I just don't know what to ask for or where to go. Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM

will the ZF s5-47 fit my 90 f150 5.0 xlt lariat extended cab 4x4?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 AM

Will these trannies work on a trade out with a 4sp high geared trans. I need mine to pull. 4th gear is worthless with the 6cyl.

Quick Reply: Updating 4 speed grannie to 5 speed (need help)