Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Things to look for when buying used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to look for when buying used?

Hey guys its me again, I posted earlier about pricing on the 84 F-150 and now I'm curious as to what I should look for when I go and check it out. Common problems, ect that may surround these trucks. Thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Assuming the body, body mounts and frame are solid the big thing is that the truck is over 30 years old.
Any parts that move that aren't new are probably going to need to be in the forseeable future.
I generally look at an older truck and try to see what's been done recently so that I won't have to do it. If the truck looks to be in good shape and fairly well maintained it'll have a base value for a good truck that doesn't need to be "rescued" body and frame - wise.
I then try to figure the cost of all the newer stuff on the truck and see if that comes close to adding up to the asking price.
Or think about what I will have to do and subtract that from the value of a mint one.
That's not exactly what you asked but the point is that everything on the truck wears out and after 30 years anything that hasn't been replaced or rebuilt is probably going to need some attention.
Usually you're better to pay more for one that's already been gone through rather than have to do it all yourself. You generally find they go for 1/2 of what the guys spent on it, and the labour was free.
The following users liked this post:
SouthDakota95F150 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Assuming the body, body mounts and frame are solid the big thing is that the truck is over 30 years old.
Any parts that move that aren't new are probably going to need to be in the forseeable future.
I generally look at an older truck and try to see what's been done recently so that I won't have to do it. If the truck looks to be in good shape and fairly well maintained it'll have a base value for a good truck that doesn't need to be "rescued" body and frame - wise.
I then try to figure the cost of all the newer stuff on the truck and see if that comes close to adding up to the asking price.
Or think about what I will have to do and subtract that from the value of a mint one.
That's not exactly what you asked but the point is that everything on the truck wears out and after 30 years anything that hasn't been replaced or rebuilt is probably going to need some attention.
Usually you're better to pay more for one that's already been gone through rather than have to do it all yourself. You generally find they go for 1/2 of what the guys spent on it, and the labour was free.
Comparing it to a "Mint one" is, no doubt, the ideal situation, but far from realistic in any reality. Paying more may be an option for some....but not for all.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the tips! The truck is almost rust free so I'm not worrying to much about body rot. But ya I'll ask away about whats been replaced recently. It only has 96,xxx on it so I assume there hasn't been a lot done to it (I hope lol).
Old 01-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthDakota95F150
It only has 96,xxx on it so I assume there hasn't been a lot done to it (I hope lol).
Says who? It could be 296k the odometer doesn't have enough digits to tell the real miles.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I look at the owner too. A man with a family and a real job is more likely to spend money on maintaining his truck than putting in a kick *** stereo, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chris93XLT

Says who? It could be 296k the odometer doesn't have enough digits to tell the real miles.
You are correct about the mileage, but it just seems to be in too good of shape to have 196xxx or more. Not saying it couldn't have had major work done in the past but I'm feeling 96xxx is correct
Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 AM

I look at the owner too. A man with a family and a real job is more likely to spend money on maintaining his truck than putting in a kick *** stereo, if you know what I mean.
Just picked it up today! Upper class family, has proof of repairs done, ect. Really liking the truck
Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool. Use the repair records to see if you can verify the mileage. I was able to verify that mine had 132k instead of 232k. Plus post a picture
Old 02-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthDakota95F150
Hey guys its me again, I posted earlier about pricing on the 84 F-150 and now I'm curious as to what I should look for when I go and check it out. Common problems, ect that may surround these trucks. Thanks
1) Carburetor
2) Steering Gear and components/linkages
3) Headlight Switch (causes shorting issues)
4) Rear Springs/Hangers
5) Ignition Module (DuraSpark II)

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying used?