Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Success! Rebuilt my first starter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Success! Rebuilt my first starter.

Really just needed a drive so I put in a bwd. Cleaned everything up nicely, re-greased the bushings, brought it to the zone and it tested good. Whew.
Pretty easy really. If you have $20 and a little time it's way worth it. Brushes probably have another 5-10 years I hope.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 PM

Well. Same issues. I seem to be getting engagement for a moment at a time. All I can think is the threads on the shaft are too worn to keep torque on the drive. They seemed ok when I had it apart, but who knows.
Manually cranking the cam to get new ring gear teeth sometimes helps, sometimes it just spins free immediately.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You'd want to make sure it's the right starter. Manual and automatic are slightly different.
Make sure all your connections (grounds too) are clean and tight. Sometimes, if not enough power is getting through, the starter motor takes all the power and the solenoid can't stay engaged.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

bump for chris_1
Old 04-18-2015, 12:02 AM

It's the correct starter. I noticed the contact is pretty heavy. I might lighten that up. Possibly the clapper isn't able to get that extra distance due to the contact being so tight. Thoughts? Definitely getting the grind from not getting deep enough.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Well, the steel plate between the motor and transmission is often called a 'starter dowel plate', because it's what actually positions the starter in relation to the flywheel/ flex plate. Anything there ?
Are you using factory starter bolts ?
If I'm remembering the measurements right automatic starters have a 2 1/8" nose and standards have a 1 3/4" nose. Otherwise they look exactly the same. Worth checking.
If the clapper is the piece inside the solenoid, it has to travel all the way back in the solenoid to make contact and make the starter motor spin. More likely the bendix is hanging up on the teeth.
Is it the right bendix for sure ? Are the edges of the flywheel teeth mushroomed enough to get in the way ? Does the bendix move all the way when you test it on the ground ?
That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Resolved

The block plate was a little wonky. Propped it out near the inspection plate and bent it back in place. Started quicker and quieter than it ever had before.
Thanks for the help guys. Had biblical rain this week, so it's good to be back out in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Success! Rebuilt my first starter.