Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Strange Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issues

Hey everyone, first post!

Anyways, I own a 1976 F150, with a 390 big block. Up until recently, it ran well enough, started up just fine after it warmed up and for the most part was fully functioning other than the fuel/oil gauge, the low beams and the dash lights, which we had just assumed had burnt out.

Cue weirdness.

The left turn signal stopped working. No clue why, just did. My initial thoughts directed me to unscrewing the light and opening up the light itself and replacing the bulb, but the filaments weren't burnt out. I still tried to put a new bulb in, but nothing changed. I did notice a weird vaseline-ish grease on the screw in part of the bulb. Regardless, I put the signal back in, screwed it up, and sat in the driver's side of the truck, pondering what had caused this issue. "Maybe messing with it fixed the issue?" I had thought to myself. Flick the turn signal, and nothing came of it. I turn on the headlights, and wouldn't you know it, the turn signal came on. It wasn't blinking, but it came on as if it were a headlight of it's own. And the dash lights, that we had assumed were dead, also came on.

I came home today and decided to flick the turn signal just to see if something had changed, and now it wasn't even showing on the dash that the turn signal was on. The right one was still functioning normally, and the left back blinker still came on as normal. The dash lights had stopped working once again.

I was hoping that it was a fuse issue, but given the erratic behavior, it appears it may be a wiring problem.

If you have any advice or ideas of what may be going on, please say so. I'd prefer not to rewire the truck if I can avoid it.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Strange lighting behavior is almost always caused by bad grounding.

I would get a test light and/or multimeter and wiring diagram and do basic troubleshooting before replacing parts.

The grease in the fittings is called dielectric grease. It's purpose is to keep electrical contacts from oxidizing or corroding especially in damp or wet locations...... Boat trailer lights etc. You can get it at any auto or RV/marine parts store.
The following users liked this post:
artugio (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by klricks
Strange lighting behavior is almost always caused by bad grounding.

I would get a test light and/or multimeter and wiring diagram and do basic troubleshooting before replacing parts.

The grease in the fittings is called dielectric grease. It's purpose is to keep electrical contacts from oxidizing or corroding especially in damp or wet locations...... Boat trailer lights etc. You can get it at any auto or RV/marine parts store.
Okay, that sounds pretty doable.

Cool to see another Oregonian on here.

As for the dielectric grease, it makes sense for a state like this. The guy I bought it from is a pretty avid hunter so at least one mystery is solved.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

another place to check is the pigtail by ur hitch, if its corroded badly or has been ripped off like mine in the past it can short out some of ur break lights, turn signals etc
Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'd agree with checking the trailer wires etc, and the grounds. Also make sure all the bulbs outside the truck are good.

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Issues