Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Something draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something draining battery

Hello...a newbie here. I have a 1984 F150, 302 w/auto which belonged to my dad (he bought it new). It's in good condition considering it's age and use but one problem is driving me crazy. Something is draining the battery. It will drain it down fairly quickly too, sometimes overnight (of course what I've been doing is removing the negative battery connection to prevent this).

Here's what I've done so far: (1) removed all the fuses one at a time...no help (2) installed a new alternator...no help (3) installed new voltage regulator and starter relay (solenoid)...no help.

My next "stab in the dark" seems to be to replace the starter and bendix. Could this cause a problem like this? If that doesn't solve the problem I really don't have a clue as what to do next.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
DrTito

Default what uses power

I would check all the power add ons, such as power windows,locks, and your radio/sterio(if you have a sound system check the blue wire/remote to the amplafiers it turns off/on the units is connected right) all so make sure every thing is off.

It takes time if you have a volt tester it helps.

you said you checked the fuses or pulled them out??
Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DrTito
I would check all the power add ons, such as power windows,locks, and your radio/sterio(if you have a sound system check the blue wire/remote to the amplafiers it turns off/on the units is connected right) all so make sure every thing is off.

It takes time if you have a volt tester it helps.

you said you checked the fuses or pulled them out??

Yes...the first thing I did was have the battery tested (good) and to remove the fuses. So I'm sure it isn't anything connected under those fuses. That's why I thought it might be the alternator. I've been told that the diodes can cause a drain if they fail but don't open up. I know this is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack and I'm at the end of my limited knowledge. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The parts store can test the alternator. The ignition switch may be bad. There are things that aren't on fuses, they get their power from the fusible links bolted to the solenoid.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Remove neg battery cable from battery. Now connect a test light between neg cable and neg batt post. If there is a drain the test light will be lit. If it's lit start pulling fuses one at a time while keeping an eye on the test light. When you pull a fuse that turns off the light, that will be the culprit. This will narrow down the list to just the things this particular fused circuit protects. Before you start pulling fuses check to see if the door of the truck being open (while you are working) does not cause the test light to be lit. If it does take out the interior light bulbs or keep the door jamb button depressed to eliminate this from lighting the test light. Ditto for the underhood light if you have one. Not as confusing as it sounds and actually a pretty quick check for a faulty circuit. If you find nothing wrong after this test then maybe there's an alternator or charging system drain somehow? Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by paulf
Remove neg battery cable from battery. Now connect a test light between neg cable and neg batt post. If there is a drain the test light will be lit. If it's lit start pulling fuses one at a time while keeping an eye on the test light. When you pull a fuse that turns off the light, that will be the culprit. This will narrow down the list to just the things this particular fused circuit protects. Before you start pulling fuses check to see if the door of the truck being open (while you are working) does not cause the test light to be lit. If it does take out the interior light bulbs or keep the door jamb button depressed to eliminate this from lighting the test light. Ditto for the underhood light if you have one. Not as confusing as it sounds and actually a pretty quick check for a faulty circuit. If you find nothing wrong after this test then maybe there's an alternator or charging system drain somehow? Hope this helps.
Thanks...I removed the fuses as you described and the drain still occurs. The new alternator could have the same problem as the old one but it's unlikely IMO. So, I guess the starter could have some kind of short which might be causing this problem and that's my next project. I will keep plugging and post my findings.

If all else fails, I'm thinking of putting one of those heavy duty switches (with the removable key) in the negative battery cable. Maybe locating it inside the cab. At least I wouldn't have to open the hood and disconnect the battery every day/night.

Water pump when out this weekend so I've got to address that first however...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
DrTito

Take the starter off when you get a chance, see if anything is lose or rattles. it has happened to me aswell I rebuilt it.

The grounded key for the batt is a good idea , but I have lost a key before and had to put it all back the way it was first.

The key has a hole, tie it with a small rope. Keep it under the hood close to the ground, it will remind you to check your fluids,leaks, and wires.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you try closing the battery drain valve? Sorry, just feel like a jerk. Follow the steps that Paul has recommended but don't forget the fuseable links that Sean mentioned. If the test lite is on, current is flowing, not good. Might also consider removing the connectors to all the modules or other solid state stuff. You will find the current draw with this test.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Did you try closing the battery drain valve? Sorry, just feel like a jerk. Follow the steps that Paul has recommended but don't forget the fuseable links that Sean mentioned. If the test lite is on, current is flowing, not good. Might also consider removing the connectors to all the modules or other solid state stuff. You will find the current draw with this test.

Ha...I just can't seem to find that valve. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still working on it.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that year of ford still have a separate voltage regulator on the fender under the hood? If so you may want to check it.

Quick Reply: Something draining battery