Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

smoking from oil fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Just Call Me Steve YAY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question smoking from oil fill cap

I have a 1986 f150 with the 302 and it seems to be smoking from the oil fill cap. Any ideas on how to stop this smoke?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

This is caused by blow by. You will need to change the rings, might as well rebuild the engine.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Just Call Me Steve YAY!

I am newer and still learning about engines How much work is it to rebuild?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it takes about a week if you'll do it slowly and carefully and you spend a few hours a day. It's a lot of work to do actually. My very first 4 cylinder engine rebuild took about 3 weeks. You should remove the engine, disassemble it completely, cleal everything up, replace a lot of parts in it and assemble everything again. It will reqire a ceiling-mount hauler, dynamometric (torque-measuring) wrench, gradienter and some more tools. You'll also need a clean place to do it. Changing rings is a bit easier. I'm not trying to offend you in any way, i'm just warning that it's a complicated but interesting job.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Just Call Me Steve YAY!

Thanks for your help
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Its not hard just tedious. Like he said take your time and keep everything clean.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might try and get a manual that has GOOD step by step instructions.. It will be time consuming but if it runs good you can say you did it. main thing is to do what he othres have said, get a clean place to do it and also torque everything to specs. Myself i like mitchel manuals i am sure others have there most favorite also.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Everyone is offering up good stuff, here is another opinion. Mechanics are mechanics, machineists are machineists. (Can't spell). Point is, do the work, pull the engine as said earlier and disassemble it. Now, take the heads, block, crank, rods, camshaft all that stuff to a good machine shop and let them measure, grind and do their thing. I'm all for doing and learning but you have to protect your investment and have the job turn out correctly. Not "IF IT RUNS" as was said previously. Get an estimate from the shop for this work and then get an estimate for them to overhaul the engine. One other thing, do yourself a favor, do not find a big box and put every nut, bolt, washer, bracket or what ever in it. Amatures do it that way, then spend hours trying to remember what goes where. Keep things in groups. Everything to remove the radiator in one group. Everything to unbolt engine from transmission in one group. This seems dumb and stupid but it works. Its fun and rewarding not to have anything left over in that "box".
Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 PM

yea buddy you need to either rebuild or get a new one i would recomend to get a jaser rebuilt 302 they are fairly cheep and run great

Quick Reply: smoking from oil fill cap