Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

slow power loss now barely runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
bates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question slow power loss now barely runs

i got an 86 f150 4x4 with a mpi 302 and an aod tranny. trans and motor are new. over the past year full power has slowly went down hill. now if you more than hit the gas it cuts out pops and wont run if you just lay your foot on it it will slowly go anywhere. it has new plugs, wires, dist cap ,rotor button, coil, fuel filter and injectors. i was wondering if there is a fuel pressure regulator on this model i have had mixed answers yes and no. if anyone knows anything else to try let me know thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator is mounted to the fuel rail sitting on top of the injectors. It will have a vacuum line attached to it. Are there any codes or CEL activity? Does the exhaust seem to have good volume of flow out of tail pipe? Is this a high pressure and a low pressure pump system?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
bates

not sure if its a high pressure or low system exhaust is good and not sure how to pull codes on it i was alawys told you couldn't
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to have confused you. I think there is a pump in the tank and also a booster pump on the frame under the cab. Both have to work properly for that type of system to operate. Its best to take a fuel pressure reading at the valve on the fuel rail. Readings of 30-40 psi are required. Read the article by Just call me Sean in the Maintenance Section about testing the OBD I system. A simple voltmeter is required or perhaps a test lite will suffice.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 10-04-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Reference wrong section
Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
bates

k thanks i read it and as far as fuel pump i think it has 2 it is also a duel tank
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Also check the fuel filters. There are 2. One in front of the high pressure pump. and one further back and inside the tank selector / reservoir.
For the selector you 1st have to remove the skid plate. Unscrew the base of the bowl to access the filter:
This is what it looks like:
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...ordfuelres.jpg

I had to replace that filter 2x even though Ford says it should be a lifetime part. Finally replaced the whole thing with an electric tank switcher.

In my case the engine would cut out and sputter when going faster than about 50 mph.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
bates

i will check the filters i changed the one in the frame rail near front but not the other and my truck started cutting out at about 50 - 55 but about 3/4 throttle and just got worse from there. my dad bought the truck new in 86 and i got it at age of 16 it ran great then at about 200,000 it lost a rod so i had a new engine put in at the dealer it done good for a bit then tranny started going at 210,000 so i had it rebuilt then truck set for a bit and never run right since due to the problem i have now so i never really got to experiance the new motor or trans at its full power. i love that ole truck just want to get her running agin.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Fuel Filter Shenanigans!

Originally Posted by klricks
Also check the fuel filters. There are 2. One in front of the high pressure pump. and one further back and inside the tank selector / reservoir.
For the selector you 1st have to remove the skid plate. Unscrew the base of the bowl to access the filter:
This is what it looks like:
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...ordfuelres.jpg

I had to replace that filter 2x even though Ford says it should be a lifetime part. Finally replaced the whole thing with an electric tank switcher.

In my case the engine would cut out and sputter when going faster than about 50 mph.
Hey that's about where I am! I have a "classic" (read, piece of crap) F150. Anything over apprx 2.5k RPM and I loose nearly all my power.

Either the guy who invented this selector filter housing or the previous owner is a real butthole or both. Namely because the reservoir cap was (is) on so tightly and in such a tight space that I couldn't budge it. I removed the entire part, put it in a vice and took a pipe wrench to it and still no dice. That sucker isn't coming off, I'm currently considering lighting it up and tossing it into the puddle of gas under my truck.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Upper Middle Class

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bates
i got an 86 f150 4x4 with a mpi 302 and an aod tranny. trans and motor are new. over the past year full power has slowly went down hill. now if you more than hit the gas it cuts out pops and wont run if you just lay your foot on it it will slowly go anywhere. it has new plugs, wires, dist cap ,rotor button, coil, fuel filter and injectors. i was wondering if there is a fuel pressure regulator on this model i have had mixed answers yes and no. if anyone knows anything else to try let me know thanks.
when you say "pop" and "cuts" out.... you make me think of incorrect ignition timing.... if it's backfiring (popping) out of the carb, sucking gas, no power, etc.... i would go for incorrect timing
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Upper Middle Class

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996 Redneck F150
when you say "pop" and "cuts" out.... you make me think of incorrect ignition timing.... if it's backfiring (popping) out of the carb, sucking gas, no power, etc.... i would go for incorrect timing
actually i dont want to get beat for what i said.... im not sure if those trucks have carbs or not lol just making it clear!

Quick Reply: slow power loss now barely runs