Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Shocks for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks for my truck

I need to put new shocks on my truck. I occasionally carry a load of plywood or fill dirt and the rear end squats pretty bad. I was wondering about these shocks with overload springs like these at Autozone. I was not really wanting to mess with my leaf spring or use air shocks unless air is the best option. Just need something that will hold up the occasional load - it runs empty 90% of the time.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

What's your question? If they're good or not or what else might work for you?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f13/85-f-1...343900/index3/

^^ Wouldn't be a bad idea to read that page of that thread. Also, this...
Originally Posted by DIY
The 4 shock set up is designed to increase rearend stability and control wheel hop. While there are a great many shock manufacturers, Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel are the most popular. Replacement cost is a bit more than stock units, but quality/durability is better than OEM. Spax, Bilstein, and Koni offer higher performance "racing" shocks that are tunable and rebuildable, but these brands cost a great deal more. Check you local auto parts stores for specific application, availability, and prices.
To remove rusted shock hardware, wire brush the exposed threads, bolt heads, and nuts. Buy a can of PB "Blaster" penetrating catalyst. Make sure the small red application tube is not missing on the can. Push this tube into the nozzle when you are ready to apply the penetrant, and give each shock bolt a shot. Wait a few seconds to a minute to let it soak in while you find the wrenches that will fit. This remedy works 99 times out of 100.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coil-Over Shocks

I have used Monroe Coil-Over shocks in the past and they do help with loads.
The only down side is that they significantly stiffen the ride when empty.
Bolt on helper springs might be an option.

Quick Reply: Shocks for my truck