Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Severe front end noise and shake

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Severe front end noise and shake

1983 F150 4x4. 300 six, granny 4-speed. Over the summer I noticed a big problem that's only in 4x4. It's a crazy squeak that sort of sounds like a duck getting run over every time the Dr front tire goes around accompanied by the steering wheel shaking violently back and forth at the slightest turn of the wheel. The truck was fine last winter, very darty in four wheel drive but no noises. Once I noticed the problem I changed all three axle ujoints, both lockout hubs, all driveshaft ujoints, tie rods and drag link, ball joints and wheel bearings but still have the same problem and noise. I've noticed in 2nd gear, high range, the problem gets much worse the steeper the incline and when more torque goes through the driveline but at any incline the truck is basically undrivable above 20mph in 4wd but fine in 2wd. There are no problems at all when I first take off in 4wd until the first time I turn the steering wheel then it's there for the duration. If anyone has had this problem before or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

start double checking everything. lift a tire up, lock the hub and turn it, check the u-joints for tightness. while it's lifted try to rattle the tire, if you can shake it back and forth the wheel bearings may be shot, or if you can lift it all without the steering moving ball joints are shot.

is that a straight axle or the TTB? if it's the TTB check for wear on the pivot bushings and check the radius arm bushings for wear and displacement. they shouldnt have any rubber squeezed out the sides

if nothing wrong so far, pop open the hubs and check for proper greasing/wear. if still nothing, it may be time to open the pumpkin up.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. The truck has the Dana 44 IFS. Everything is still tight in the front end and all ujoints. I replaced the radius arm bushings but I've never changed the axle pivot bushings. I changed from Superwinch to Mile Marker hubs. The new hubs had very little grease but it says not to add any more. They don't make the traditional "clank" when locked like the other hubs have but they're made a little different. To me it felt like a diff problem, like it's pulling both front tires all the time but I can raise the front and hold one tire and spin the other in 4wd. I was curious if it could be a problem with the PS pump as the truck does have the usual Ford whine out of the pump all the time.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Pump has nothing to do with the diff.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 AM

I was talking about the noise and the way the steering wheel shakes back and forth when I start turning the wheel in 4wd. Maybe like if air could have got in the system but it seems like it would be the same in 2wd unless there's more torque on the system trying to turn the wheels while they're pulling in 4wd. I had a '78 Bronco with a straight axle that lost a trac bar bushing and the steering wheel wobbled about the same but it did it in 2 or 4wd.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:28 AM

One update. One of my old 2wd problems has come back after changing the whole front end. When I turn the wheels to the right for even the slightest kink in the road they get stuck that way. I basically have to yank the steering wheel back to the left and hope I can catch it before going into oncoming traffic. Any help on this condition would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver and it's getting borderline dangerous. I've been running into several weird problems since my truck hit 250k miles. The days of going for a relaxing cruise are over. Just going to the grocery store is a heart pounding thrill ride.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like you're due for a steering box. They're not as expensive as you would think (compared to the price of exhaust or brakes or tires). You'll need a little pitman arm puller and hit the bolts at the end of the steering shaft and the nuts that hold the lines in with some rust buster ahead of time. Afternoon job at worst, an hour if all goes well.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Hey Thanks. There is some play in the steering wheel, maybe 1/8 of a turn while I'm driving where it doesn't make the tires turn. I never imagined it could get stuck in one direction. Do you know if a new steering box comes in the centered position or do I have to count the turns and center it myself before I put the pitman arm back on it?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

if i remember right the pitman arm is keyed, so you may just have to detach and reattach the steering column after straightening the wheels if you dont get it right the first time

Quick Reply: Severe front end noise and shake