Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Rust removal/body repair savings

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust removal/body repair savings

I just got my 78 F150 this weekend!! Yea!! Now that I have examined it I have found some minor rust and dings (see pics). I want to get the truck repainted. Since these repairs are so minor is the cost savings really that much to do the rust/body repairs yourself or should I just bite the bullet and leave it to the pros? And is the saving any better if I remove all of the trim, molding, grill, etc myself before taking it to the paint/body shop?
Attached Thumbnails Rust removal/body repair savings-img_1369.jpg   Rust removal/body repair savings-img_1386.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Dark Overlord of Planet X

If you are going to paint it black and silver let the pros do it. Black and any metallic color really show the dents, dings, and waves. Check with the shop about partially disassembling the vehicle. I'm sure most would appreciate it but it may not save you much in the long run, in which case they might as well do it so that they are responsible for the reassembly. Imagine how pissed you will be if you put a big scratch in your new paint job trying to put the trim back on. Also, that minor dent on your door is in a spot where your are going to see it everytime that you get into the thing, make sure it is done right or you will kick yourself everytime. Believe me on that one.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 AM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you will save money if you repair the dents and remove the trim yourself before you take it to the shop. however body work is very hard work, and rykr is right you will be pissed if you scratch your new paint job putting on the trim.

so it is up to you really.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 AM

i agree with the other two....body work is really hard and extremely time consuming if you want it to be done right. the guys on tv make it look easy and quick but its not. unless youre a pro just let the pros do it, it might be more expensive than doing it yourself but youll be happier with it
Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 AM

Thanks everyone. I was leaning that way with my thinking but it never hurts to get other perspectives. I am in Iraq right now but soon I will be home and working to restore the truck!! I will upload pics once the truck is decent.
Again, Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Rust removal/body repair savings