Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion

Hey guys!
I'm in dire need of replacing the rear wheel bearings on my 1981 F-150 4x4 (351M-2V) and can't wrap my head around all the conflicting info. It has a 9" rear and the door sticker says it is axle code 14, presumably an open 3.00 according to the decoders. When I'm looking up parts, there are references for a "2800lb" rear or a "3750lb" rear. However, my door sticker says "3166lb" leaving me mystified as to which rear end this is. It has tapered roller bearings and of course I need both new bearings and seals.
There is a second mystery which is an extra piece that was floating around on the axle when I pulled it. The bearing seems to be in place as well as the retaining collar, but then there was another metal sleeve just sliding around in there. It's also split and beat to pieces. I'll attach a picture...What IS it???
Thanks for the help!
JACK
Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0536.jpg   Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0537.jpg   Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0539.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Register and ask here. There are guys that know everything.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, here's what I've found out...

I'm not sure what came first, chicken or egg, but the differential was imploding,5 broken teeth on the ring gear, 2 teeth broken off and every tooth chipped on the pinion gear, that little mystery sleeve was from the diff, the gear lube looked like a mercury and metal flake soup, and the wheel bearings were coming apart.

To answer my own question, it is the 3750 axle and the bearing kit is known as an A20 which I got for $15ea, in stock at a local O'Reilly's. I'll attach pictures and a video link so you can be amazed at how bad this really was!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0544.jpg   Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0543.jpg   Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion-img_0547.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Confusion