Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power steering pump

Hey all,
I have a 1983 f150 with the 302 motor in it. Recently my PS pump has been leaking and I need to replace it--my question is how hard is this job and is there anything that I need to be particularly aware of before I undertake it?

Thanks again!

Michael
Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

No, it is not hard to change, can be a little messy depending on how much fluid is left in the system, but, is it the pump or the lines that are leaking? The lines will have to be disconnected any way might want to replace them at the same time IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
mlorsung (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks--I anticipated the mess, though at the rate its running out of the bearing seal on the pump, there may not be much left in there... Is it true that I need to prime a new pump by hand before I install it? Its definitely leaking from the pump (shaft seal/bearing), as far as I can tell...

Thanks again for your help

Michael
Old 11-30-2015, 11:30 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

I have always installed the pump and lines, filled the tank to the full cold line started the engine turned the wheel to the left, shut down the engine, topped off the tank, restarted turn all the way to the right, then recenter the steering shutdown and fill as required, then keep an eye on it for a few days as the rest of the air bleeds out. You should be good to go after that and get back on your normal servicing schedule

Jeff
Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

on my 86 the middle bracket is aluminum. Lets just say I had to buy a new $80 pulley cause no one had it and a new pressure hose. Also broke one of the aluminum eye holes off said aluminum bracket even after using the "blue" wrench to help it along.

ANTISEIZE!!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You want to get rid of as much of the old fluid as possible. New pumps hate old fluid. To get rid of the old fluid, put the front on jackstands and turn the wheel lock to lock (vehicle off) with the lines disconnected and have a helper let you know when the fluid is done flowing out. Leave the front up on jackstands so that when you install the new pump/lines, you can use the turning lock to lock method to bleed the air (vehicle off). You want to air bleed the new fluid as much as possible with the engine off before you repeat it with the engine on. You don't want to come anywhere close to risking a dry pump with the vehicle on.

Other things to pay attention to: check the capacity and fluid type in your owners manual. For instance, my '79 uses Type F transmission fluid for power steering. I don't want to go putting power steering fluid in a pump that doesn't want it. You may find that your truck is the same, I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump