Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering

Hello Iam new to the forum I have a1985 ford f150xlt 2wd 5.0l v8 recently my power steering fluid kept leaking until yesterday when I filled it up it came straight out I don't see any hose leaking but coming from the left side of the control arm or the left tire rod leaking on the ground with a loud wounding noise. As it sound if you don't have any power steering fluid in it? Any help would be great thanks.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Probably leaking out the bottom of the steering box. Wipe everything off good and see if it's coming out the bottom of the steering box and leaking down the pitman arm onto the rest of the steering linkage.
If so, you're going to need a new steering box. The seals can be replaced, but it's not a simple job - changing the box is the way most people would go, especially as by the time the seals start leaking, the box is pretty worn anyway.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I think that's what it is cause it's leaking down the pit arm i will replace the steering box. Thanks

Quick Reply: Power steering