Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

need opinions: rebuild or swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need opinions: rebuild or swap

In the middle of restoring my grandpas 85 f150 2wd. Just need some opinions on this, should I rebuild the stock 302 and beef it up a bit or go with a whole new crate engine? Anyone know a good place in Canada to get an engine from? The truck is just going to be a summer cruiser. I want it to have some power but doesn't have to be a race truck or anything. The stock 302 is still running strong at the moment but I need a plan once I get it back from paint. Eager to hear other peoples opinions!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

If you like that engine I would stay with it, as far as rebuild vs crate there are split opinions on this I feel it is YOUR choice the time involved to pull, remove then reinstall the accessories and install the engine is the same for both, the difference is the down time for rebuilding the engine vs un-crateing. Is what you save doing it your self worth the time invested vs the time you save with a crate motor. Here again this is for you to determine. I have done both and had good luck doing both. Ether way you choose to go good luck.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM

Is it possible to get decent power out of this 302 and yet still remain reliable? It would be nice to stick with the same engine because everything would fit back in nicely and I wouldn't have to worry about it. I have been doing some reading and most say that you can't get much out of this 302 because it isn't a HO engine like the mustangs have. But this i don't really know for sure. If I can pull it, get it rebuilt and freshened up, and add some more power then I would like to go that route.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Third option would be to just get a new short block if everything on the existing top end is still sound.

If it were me I would probably just toss a crate motor in her to save the down time. While rebuilding could save money you never know what you will find once you get into it. Then there is the cost of machine work, finding someone you trust to do the machining, etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Senior

^^ True, If you go with the short block I would still go through the heads and at least do the valves, valve seats, valve seals and springs.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

A couple of questions-

1. Do you have space/tools to remove and install the engine?

2. Are you wanting to do this over the winter as a project or do you just want it running ASAP?

3. Do you have any trusted machine shops in your area to do any necessary machine work?

4. How much power are you wanting to put to the ground?

5. What type of budget are you looking at?

Ok, that's more than a couple questions. Haha.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:51 PM

The power difference between the Mustang and truck engine of that Era was nothing more than the heads and cam. A 302 block is a 302 block.

If you are mechanically inclined you could order a short block 347 stroker which is still a 302 block so everything will still bolt up. Add some new heads, cam and intake and make some pretty decent but more importantly reliable power.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:12 AM

I have a garage and tools to take out the engine but as far as ripping apart the engine I would rather a professional do that. I am not in a big rush since I won't be driving the truck until summer anyways. I just sold my Camaro so I have 16k sitting around to be spent. I don't really want to spend all of it on an engine ha but I guess I need to include the cost of a transmission to handle the engine and a rear end as well. As far as horsepower I wouldn't mind putting down between 4 and 500. The more and more I think about it the more I am leaning towards a new crate engine that will just bolt in. Now the question is what engine/transmission will bolt in and where to buy from..
Thanks for the info everyone I appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Senior

If you are going to make it a daily driver why not just get the original transmission and rear end rebuilt/repaired and put a crate 302 in it and call it a day While you are at it flush/rebuild/repair the brake system too. Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM

It all really depends on what you are working with right now. 85 was somewhat of a transitional year. IIRC efi was an option in 85 so is your current engine efi or carb. If its efi you will also need to allocate some funds for tunning it to the new combo. Also you could either have the 8.8 or 9" rear end, either could be rebuilt to handle 400 - 500 hp. Not sure what tranny you have or its current condition either might just need to have it overhauled vs. getting a completely different tranny.

Your truck probably only had 180 or so hp from the factory so even putting something that can get you 300 to the wheels would be a night and day difference.

I would start looking around for a 347 long block crate motor. Summit, Jegs, DSS Racing, etc. I know Ford sells a 347 FRPP long block for like $6k.

Quick Reply: need opinions: rebuild or swap