Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Left for dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left for dead

I'm new to this forum. I joined to get help with a seventh generation that I will receive as a gift if I can get it started. all I know so far is that it's a seventh generation body "custom" trim level I believe regular cab with dual gas tanks and no efi. the truck has no keys or battery. I was thinking if this project shoes potential I could wire up a push button start just to get it to my home. as of now though there is no key what should I do?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice truck
Do you have ANY history on it?? If you have a bill of sale, you can get a locksmith to make you a new key for under 100$. You could also buy a new lock cylinder and key set.

I found this in 30 seconds.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignition...JYMtdH&vxp=mtr

As for the battery, I would get a used one. or see if that one will take a charge. If the truck ran great and was parked and someone lost the key, then I might buy a new battery.

As you say the truck was a gift, so the engine might have a bad main bearing and needs an engine overhaul. Better to fix big to small.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would replace the ignition tumbler as tempest mentioned above and maybe just try using the battery from your own car to see if it fires up and runs before buying a battery for it. Would be wise to put some new gas in it and make sure there's oil in it before firing it up.