Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Key Turns Freely; Does Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Turns Freely; Does Nothing

Hello, everyone! I'm a fairly new owner of a 1985 F150 supcab and, unfortunately, I have a problem. Today I went to start my vehicle like normal; however, because I live in Alaska it was awfully cold and difficult to turn. I turned it a bit and it suddenly became much easier to turn, unfortunately it didn't do anything. I can now completely spin the key around with no resistance at all. Full 360 degree action; 720 if you fancy, even. Not a thing happens. What did I probably break? What parts do I likely need/what should I look for when inspecting it? Also what size bolts do I need for the steering wheel extractor (or do they usually just pop right off)? Thank you, and let me know if you need more info!

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 11-19-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

A little more info on the steering column would help. Is it a tilt column? It sounds like you broke the ignition key lock assembly (just the part in the upper column) easy fix
Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 PM

Yeah, it's a tilt column. I can insert and turn the key freely both ways, though I sometimes get some resistance (very slight). When I pull the key out in the lock position it still locks the cylinder. Is this what you were referring to? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...150&vi=5005891

Might it also be the ignition actuator? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ition+actuator

Also, I'm not sure how to identify my vehicle at the parts store. I don't know a whole lot about it. (I didn't buy it; I was just a tag along turned co-owner.) I know it has a 351 and it's a supercab 4x4. Is there a way to identify my engine?

I'm getting ready to head to town and here's my list so far.

8x32 bolts, some cold temp lube/grease, circlip pliers (can't find em), and that ignition actuator, the ignition cylinder + lock, small punches, and a steering pivot pin remover, OH GOD almost forgot the steering wheel remover.

Anything else? Thanks

Edit: I'm thinking of buying some heat tape to wrap my steering wheel with so I can heat it up when I need to start it XD

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 11-19-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Just confirmed I can't pull the key out in any position other than LOCK. I don't need to depress the button to return to lock.

VIN is 1FTEK14G4FKA43624 if that helps with identification; typing it in online does nothing for me.

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 11-19-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Senior

Here is a link on how to rebuild the column But is also shows how to remove and reinstall the lock cylinder

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...85-w-tilt.html

You have a 1985 f150 4WD Supercab with a 351w 2bbl carb. based on VIN 1FTEX14G4FKA43624

Hope this helps

Last edited by GhostriderI; 11-19-2015 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ImplicitWeevil (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 PM

Oh, that was an X haha XD I guess they didn't put it down right when the registration was done. Awesome, thanks for the link and info! I see now what part it is. I was wondering what the purpose of this step was, though "Lower the steering column and remove the two (11mm) bolts holding the ignition switch to the steering column. Separate the ignition rod from the ignition switch and pull some slack for the wiring harness running up the column. Raise the column and bolt it back to the dash:" Is that step needed for what I'm doing? Or can I just go ahead and pull out the actuator once I get it open? Heading to town now for parts.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Senior

That part should not be needed Just the part about removing the lock cylinder and realigning it for install. The switch at the bottom of the column should not have to move in this case
Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 PM

Coolbeans so I'll just pick and choose what seems relevant then, thanks!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:20 PM

So I had to do some improvising with the circlip. I wrapped one of my pliers around one of my circlip plier heads and that did the trick. I have it out and I see what you mean now! Whole thing is just snapped off. What could have caused this, though? Old age? Cold Weather? It was working fine just the other day.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:33 AM

So I have the new lock cylinder in; it doesn't turn freely anymore. It seems to act pretty much like a normal key. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything. When I turn the key the starter doesn't do anything, and I don't get the emissions light that usually turns on. Also, I don't have to press the key release button underneath the steering column to return the key to the LOCK position. Is it perhaps the ignition actuator? I can see the rod moving, though, so I'm not sure if it's the actuator.

Quick Reply: Key Turns Freely; Does Nothing