Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Ignition or gas problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition or gas problems?

I have a 1981 Ford F 150 Ranger XLT. The engine is a 302 roller cam w/o HO out of a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. Got the Dura Spark set up. Just recently acquired the truck & rebuilt the engine. After installing engine back in truck it wouldn't pull gas to the mechanical pump. Replaced the pump and it cranked up. Ran all day long. Next day it just quit, like its out of gas. Pulled gas line from carb and turned engine and gas came out the line. Put line back on carb and it fired up. Drove bout 1/2 mile and it quit again. Replace fuel filter on carb and it started up. A few days later it quit again. Put a kit in the 2150 carb. Put carb on and it started right up. A few days later it quit again. Pulled fuel line off and turned over engine and truck started with fuel line off. All the fuses are good. So am I having gas or ignition problems?

Last edited by Rough_Ford Tough; 10-24-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 AM
DSBP F-150

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Try looking at pick-up coil. The Ecm. Most common thing on older trucks that give-away.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Thanks Dave

I looked at the pick up coil. Looked like it was a little rusty, probably from dizzy be'n left out in the weather when the engine was over hauled two weeks ago, I payed 2 have it done. Cleaned it up with some silicone spray. The truck still do'n its quit'n thing. Gonna look at the ignition switch. Maybe that. Not sure jus wat is is now. So many electronics on this Ford of mine. I've bout decided its not got anything to do with the fuel. U got a nice look'n truck. Eventually mine will be sweet to b 4 2 long. Appreciate ur info. Later.

Last edited by Rough_Ford Tough; 10-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not the ignition switch. Does it do it when its warm? Try taking a look at the coil. Electrical tend to have the most stress and it shows most when hot. I am having a similar issue at this point and I am in the process of doing the pickup coil. Smart move paying someone. I got a horror story I'm gonna post soon. Anyway, take a look at the coil.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Figured it out

Well men,,,i found out what the culprit was! Turns out after do'n some check'n with my 12v light tester that the ignition module was go'n bad. It would quit send'n juice to the coil. Thats wat made me think at 1st bout fuel be'n cut off. Twin tanks with a messed up switch. Then reminded me of a electical problem,so, I got to check'n and found it. Changed out the ignition module and run'n like a top. Thanks for the in-put. Good luck with ur trucks. Keep on Truck'n. Ford Tough.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man....When it quit how did it act? Did it sputter out or just die like someone hit a switch?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 AM

The truck would quit like a switch had shut off. Then after check'n with the test light, u know, found out it was not send'n juice to the coil. Hope ur come'n along better with ur truck. Keep on truck'n.

Quick Reply: Ignition or gas problems?