Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Idling Rough, Very Inefficent, Missing, Black Smoke

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Rough, Very Inefficent, Missing, Black Smoke

I picked up a truck this week for $500.00 to haul firewood in. I am an old toyota wrench head who is trying to keep his head above water...anyways

Specs:
1984 F-150
300 Inline 6
4speed
2wd

Problems:
The exhaust is shot, and the exhaust manifold is leaking...BLACK SMOKE!
Idling it runs very, very poor. You have to keep pumping the throttle to keep it running, and if not it will either idle very poorly (around 3-500 rpm) and of course the oil psi drops with the low idle.
Top end however is great...Running it down the road it runs great. It just will not idle for anything.
Ive put around 16 total gallons in it, and probably have driven it maybe 50 miles...

BLACK SMOKE
NO IDLE
VERY INEFFICENT

Spark plugs were very black.
Like i said, runs fine on top end...just wont idle for crap.

Otherwise very happy with the truck. Its a wood hauling son of a gun!
Any help is greatly appreciated, and may result to me not taking it to the crusher at the end of wood season! lol
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 AM

Well try adjusting the timing, of coarse new sparkplugs and wires, adjust the carberater (idling issue ), and that should help a little maybe junk yard for exaust pipes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man could be lots of things....Sounds like its running super rich, maybe burning oil which could be rings or more. Doesn't sound good. Any noises? I'd do what the guys suggested- get this thing in a known state as much as possible- new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, adjust carb, check/ replace exhaust including plugged cats.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM

carb is what you need to check, might be float set too high or sticking float, just sounds too rich, get a rebuild kit for the carb. Also check things like timing & wires.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Fumes from the leaking manifold will get in the cab easily. Make sure to have the windows down ANY TIME you are in the cab. That black smoke can do bad stuff to you if you breathe too much of it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Default 84 with same problem.

I have an 84 with the 302, stock carburator, but mine is idling rough at stop lights in gear and white smoke with the smell of gas it also has a hard time starting in the morning. Any help would greatly be appreaciated. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idling Rough, Very Inefficent, Missing, Black Smoke