Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

I need help, 1985 ignition problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help, 1985 ignition problem.

I am frustrated and tired and I need you help.

1985, F150, Hi-Alt, 4x4, 351W-2V, 4 speed manual Overdrive Transmission, 75,000 original miles. FOR SALE

I have been having an intermittent ignition problem with this truck for a while. It would start and run fine, then I would go to start it and it would not. It will spin fast but not even try to start, plenty of fuel but no spark. I could try it later and it would start and run fine. Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor. Cold or hot, it would either randomly start or not start.

Now that I am trying to sell the truck, it will not start at all. I know it is ignition related and trying to diagnose it past that has been a PIA. I want to replace the TFI unit on the distributor but it is hard to get to. I have loosened the distributor to get at the two screw easier but I cannot see in the two recessed holes to see if they are hex, torx, philips, etc.....

My questions:

What kind of screws are they? Do you know the size? Am I approaching getting at it the right way by rotating the distributor? Any tricks?

I think the odds are high that it is the TFI unit or the crumbly wiring connector. I have no junkyard available to me so where else could I get another connector for the TFI and fix the crumbling wiring?

Thanks for any help. I am really frustrated and need to get this moving.

DEWFPO
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Are you talking about the distributor mounted ignition module? It has two hex bolts but I don't know what size. It doesn't matter because it is hard to find a socket to fit in the hole, it requires a thin wall socket. The parts store has a Ford ignition module tool for removing it.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most techs I've seen remove the distributor to replace the module.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Are you talking about the distributor mounted ignition module? It has two hex bolts but I don't know what size. It doesn't matter because it is hard to find a socket to fit in the hole, it requires a thin wall socket. The parts store has a Ford ignition module tool for removing it.
Yes, that's correct. It the one mounted where the old vacuum advance used to go on the distributor.

DEWFPO
Old 07-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Most techs I've seen remove the distributor to replace the module.

That's what I was afraid of.

Anyone, know a source for the TFI connector? The one from the wiring harness that plugs into the end of the TFI module. It has 6 wires coming out of it.

Again, Thanks, DEWFPO
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I know ford sells the connector and also NAPA has the part available. Most likely the other parts stores will have it also. Something to consider is to change the pick up sensor inside the dist. Its a little tricky but doable. Have to remove the drive gear to slip out the shaft.

Quick Reply: I need help, 1985 ignition problem.