Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

How to change ignition switch...84 F150

Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change ignition switch...84 F150

Got a truck for really cheap, problem is, no keys included. Had it towed home, but need to put in new ignition cylinder/switch and eventually new door cylinders, but that's down the road (along with fixing many other issues).

Looking for what tools I'll need to do the job without having the key and a quick rundown on how to do it.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Will the tumbler turn without the key? Some older vehicles will is why I ask.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Just a suggestion: Take one of your door locks out and take it to the locksmith. He can make a key for you that will fit. I'm not sure about the 84 but I think the door key works as the ignition.

It may cost more but you can have the locksmith come to you and make a key or 2.

To start the truck, you can always hot wire it. You can't drive it because the steering wheel will be locked.

Just some thoughts.
Good luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM

Tumbler won't turn.

I may go the locksmith route, but the keys are different from door to ign, I'll see what it costs for a house call. I did get it started by hotwiring it, but can't turn the wheel. I do need to move it, how do you disable the steering lock?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cannibal
Tumbler won't turn.

I may go the locksmith route, but the keys are different from door to ign, I'll see what it costs for a house call. I did get it started by hotwiring it, but can't turn the wheel. I do need to move it, how do you disable the steering lock?
To disable the steering lock, you have to remove the steering wheel. The locking device is ther.

While you are there, you can go a little farther and remove the lock tumbler in the column and take it to the lock smith.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change ignition switch...84 F150