Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

HI! new post and a Fuel Tank Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI! new post and a Fuel Tank Problem

Hi y'all

this is my first post. thanks in advance for any help!

I have an '86 f150 efi 2wd. it's in decent shape with a tired motor that i'm planning on driving into the ground and putting a fresh crate motor in eventually.

I am a medium level amateur mechanic with most of my experience being on infuriating british cars (i grew up in australia and my dad and i had a collection of Triumphs...). I can definitely change parts out, but my diagnostic abilities leave a bit to be desired.

here's my problem it's in the dual fuel tank set-up. let me try and detail:

1. the vehicle works mostly fine. it starts and runs and drives no problem.

2. the front tank works fine.
3. the selector switch appears to work fine. when i switch it to the rear tank, the gauge shows the tank level apparently correctly.

4. when switching to the rear tank, the vehicle runs fine for a some time then seems to starve of fuel. returning the switch to the front tank works fine.

5. when the vehicle has been running on the front tank and is then parked, after several minutes, fuel starts leaking from the back tank (which is showing empty on the gauge). it appears to be coming from the top of the tank and running down. after some time the leak slows and eventually stops.

6. it seems that with the vehicle running, the leak disappears

7. i have tried operating the vehicle without the fuel cap on the back tank and this appears to have lessened the problem if not fixed it.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Go to the link in my signature for info on the dual tank system.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Easiest thing is pull the bed. Probably a leaking line .
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just drop the rear tank and take a look?

I changed my rear tank without any help... removed all the under trunk spare tire mounting stuff (has a spare in the bed) as I replaced the old
tank with a 39 gallon rear tank. Just used a flat board and floor jack as my "helper"... when tank is dropped down (easy if empty) you get to the wiring and lines on the top.
Of course my slightly older truck does not have fuel injection... but it appears to be a similar amount of work....

Side tank is even easier to remove/replace.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 09-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some times on the older trucks the rubber in the fuel lines is so old and weak the rubber line may collapse and starve your motor of fuel.May be a bad fuel selector valve on the drivers side rail?. Sounds like your having to drop the tank and have a close look. Good luck.

Quick Reply: HI! new post and a Fuel Tank Problem