Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Hedman Header for Ford 300????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hedman Header for Ford 300????????????

When I contact Jegs, Summit and even Hedman themselves and ask them why no one lists theyre header pt # 89300 to only fit a 2wd no one can answer me. My truck is 4WD and getting the fuel injected 93 motor installed in it as mentioned in the post below and I would love to run this header and cant for any reason see why it would matter 2wd or 4wd... (#1) - The front drive shaft and hogshead are on the drivers side along with the clutch linkage and shift linkage. (#2) - The only thing on the passenger side of this trucks engine besides the frame rail is the starter and the engine mount bracket on the frame. I dont see Ford using a different frame, motor mounts or even a 4 speed bellhousing of a 2wd VS a 4wd...... ANY THOUGHTS? I called and spoke to some pompus *** at Hedman today and he said his "catalogue shows for 2wd only" I explain this to him and he says "well maybe we only had a 2wd truck to test them on"... WOWEEEE Thats some product coverage there folks. Just to think all the money spent in R&D in those manifolds is 1/2 wasted because someone is too lazy to do a small amount of research in order to sell TWICE the amount of that product. Anyway...before I buy one from Summit does anyone have any idea why they claim this will not fit a 4wd?????????? Heres an ebay link so everyone can see what Im talking about... Oh and by the way I think the factory manifolds are the same part number... WTF

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hedma...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's the customer service you get, I'd give up on Hedman, and go with these guys:

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=F300

...and pick up a few other go-fast goodies while you're there! (no, this isn't a family business or even anyone I know - just a great company with great products that I've been very pleased with in the past)
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM

hey i dont know on your year shouldn't matter but i got flowtec headers and put them on my 2wd and then later put them on my 4x4 with no problems ... i have a 93 f-150
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Well I bought the Hedman's anyway, they were only $179 shipped to my door. I will post an update about the install.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Jegs told me the headers would not work too. Instead they offered hooker headers for around $500. They look the same though. Did the hedmans work for you?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by tafmil
Jegs told me the headers would not work too. Instead they offered hooker headers for around $500. They look the same though. Did the hedmans work for you?

Yes it did fit but I did have to alter some things. Keep in mind I swaped a fuel injected 1994 300 into my 1977 4X4, you can find the details of this swap and pictures of the exhaust and alterations I made in the classic corner forum. That or just google Fuel Injected 300 engine swap and it should pull it up. You will need to find a good exhaust guy to build the pipes for your truck like I had built for mine because it was very close and tricky. You will also want to take the 2 - 2" collector reducers supplied with the Hedman header and run them into a single 2.5' pipe and run a single 2.5 the rest of the way out. This way you will get a ton of low end power and a strong exhaust note. If you run true duals the exhaust will not be tuned, you will loose power and the truck will sound like pure crap. I dont know what year your truck is but I think 91 and later the alternator bracket is different and it interferes with the header pipe for cylinder number 1. I fixed this but cutting out a section of the bracket, not a big deal cause it has to come off anyway. I also had to grind some of the intake down in the bridge between the back two cylinder in order to clear that primary tube. I also had to trim a 1/4" off my frame rail for clearence. Might sound like a pain in the *** but that part wasnt that bad. THE WORST part was having to put the header on the same time as the intake manifold while also installing the starter from the bottom, this does take two people and it is a bitch. Now it may have been worse in my case because of the swap and the 1994 engine has a bigger head than the 1977. In either case find my other post about that fuel injection swap with all the pictures and details. In either case my truck is freaking insane and Im soooo glad I not only did the fuel injection swap but the header as well, this truck has power and torque I never thought possible.

Quick Reply: Hedman Header for Ford 300????????????