Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Headers and shifter linkage problems/questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and shifter linkage problems/questions.

Ok, I am so close to having this truck up and going again. I got my rebuilt engine in tonight, but the headers were a pain in the *** to get clear of the transmission linkages and ended up ending right at the linkages. I want to keep these headers and am considering going to the Pull A Part to look for a floor shifter that I could install and use. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else install Long Tube Headers and run in to this problem? I would not mind a floor shifter from another vehicle and I have heard of cable linkages but never seen them.
Any tips or advice would be most appreciated.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 PM

I bought my headers and intake from a guy off of craigslist, so it is possible they there were not for this year truck or what not. I would love to do a floor shifter, however, I have spent a lot more cash than I had anticipated and do not have the cash for an aftermarket one. I do however have a Pull A Part down the street and if someone could suggest a vehicle to grab one out of that has a cable linkage that I could make work, that would be great.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are truely running this set up: 1984 F-150 302 AOD 2WD 4 Barrel Holley

Something is wrong about the headers, the 302 I have in my 66 Bronco has plenty of clearance, actually it is very close to the frame.
Can you cut and reweld tubes to reposition?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM

After some thinking, I do not think that the guy I bought them from lied to me, I do think they are for this truck because they clear the crossmember, but I think they were for a manual truck that would no have these issues.

I talked to a friend's dad who did a lot of rods etc back in his day and he recommended heating the tube with a torch till each one is red hot, having some one keeping them hot, and another person under the vehicle with a pipe or pole in the rear of them to slowly bend them out. It seems to me as this would work. I think as long as we kept them nice and hot and moved it very slowly this would work. Any one have any input?

I know that I could buy the correct ones or what not, but my budget is way in the negative already and I simply cannot afford it. I want to try to keep these headers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Madrox; 01-21-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM

I have a buddy with his 302 pulled out and on the engine stand, so I am going to mount my headers to his block on the stand, take some measurements, borrow a torch and get to bending. Worse case scenario, I will have to buy a new set of headers down the road when I am not broke if I mess these up.

Quick Reply: Headers and shifter linkage problems/questions.