Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

has anyone tried airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default has anyone tried airbags?

I'm thinking about switching to an air bag suspension on my 78. The main reason would be a smoother ride. Has anyone switched to airbags? Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I've only seen them used as extra support (leveling) when carrying a load, not as a full-time suspension alternative. If you've got a 1/2 ton truck, the worst that could happen when you carry too much load is the axle will shear off at the wheel. Seen it happen before. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton, go for it. Might help stabilize the load better.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Braggs
I've only seen them used as extra support (leveling) when carrying a load, not as a full-time suspension alternative. If you've got a 1/2 ton truck, the worst that could happen when you carry too much load is the axle will shear off at the wheel. Seen it happen before. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton, go for it. Might help stabilize the load better.
Thanks! Definitely wouldn't use my truck to haul anything too heavy. I think I'll just modify the shock absorber bracket to fit fox shocks. These trucks suck on the terrain I live in. Bumps and potholes everywhere. I need more cushion. Right now I'm rolling with the rancho 9000xl, but they're still not good enough.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:06 AM
vertical pin buster

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The air bags you'd get for that truck wouldn't smooth out your ride. Might look in to a softer spring for the back. Half tons with soild front rear ends have a kind of choppy jerry ride in my opinion.

Quick Reply: has anyone tried airbags?