Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

growling power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default growling power steering pump

I just replaced my power steering pump and the new one seems to growl. Even when it's just sitting there idling, but gets worse if I turn. No whining sounds. I tried tightening and also loosening the belt, no change whatsoever. Is there a break in period on power steering pumps or could it just be air in the lines? If it's air, turning the steering wheel lock to lock will get rid of it correct?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Decendant of Jed Clampett

The older Ford P/S pumps were notorious for making noise. I would check the fluid and if it is full, then either live with it or take it back for another one. You are the one who has to make that decision. Good Luck.

Jim
Old 01-12-2008, 09:37 AM
that's gonna leave a mark

Mine's noisy too, I put a dynomax race bullet on and the sound seems to have become much less of a nuisance
Old 01-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Cause for whining power steering pump

When a new or rebuilt power steering pump whines after installation, it is normally cause by improper installation. The pump will continue to work fine but the noise will always be their. The problem is pump priming. The power steering pump needs to be primed by hand before installation. To prime the pump put it in a vise. Plug the return hose port. Connect the high pressure to the pump and put the other end in the resivor. Fill the resivor and turn the pump by hand until no more bubbles come out of the high pressure hose. After priming, install in vehicle.

This is a very common mistake even experienced mechanics make. If you paid to have someone install the pump, have them put a new pump in. If you replaced the pump yourself live with the sound or replace the pump and prime it before installation.

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 PM

The sound has pretty much gone away now. I drove it twice to the dump to drop garbage off and it no longer does it at idle and you can barely hear it when turning. The truck is just used to haul crap to the dump or pick up something from the local Home Depot. Even if it stays the way it is now, it's no big deal.

Quick Reply: growling power steering pump