Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel lines and pump question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel lines and pump question

Hey guys. I have cleaned my 19 gallon center tank and have installed a new sending unit/ pump combo. My question is: On entry to the fuel filter canister assembly there are 2 lines- one entering the filter on top and one on bottom. Which one is the line that I would connect tank fuel pump line to??? The selector valve and second tank have been removed. The fuel pump on the frame continues off the fuel filter canister on the top. So...2 lines go into fuel filter, one comes out to hi pressure pump. All I need to know is whick in line does the tank pump go to, the top or the bottom?

One other interesting question. There is some jell looking stuff on the new sending unit connector that the harness plugs into. Am I supposed to remove this stuff or is it supposed to be plugged in with the stuff on there. Looks like petroleum jelly.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe post a picture of what you have. There are several versions in my shop manual. If you have a dual tank version then I would think that one of the ports would need to be plugged off since your 2nd tank was removed. Note that the smaller diameter connections /hoses are for the EFI fuel return to the tank(s).

Keep the grease on. It is dielectric grease. It keeps moisture out of the connection and keeps the contacts from corroding.
You can buy the dielectric grease at auto-parts stores. You will find it applied to the bulb sockets of bake, turn signal, marker lights etc. especially in boat and RV trailers.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Klricks. Apparently the lines only go in one way because one is smaller (the return) and one is larger (the pump). I figured that was dielectric grease, but I was not sure as I have never bought a part with it smeared all over like that. Sometimes when you buy old Soviet Bloc guns they come smeared with Cosmoline all over. It is a huge mess to remove. Didn't know if they put some sort of protectant on it that was supposed to be removed.

Quick Reply: Fuel lines and pump question