Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Injected 4.9 Engine Swap into 1977 F150

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injected 4.9 Engine Swap into 1977 F150

Hello to all, I am a recent newbie member to your community but an avid Ford lover for years. In fact thats about all Ive owned and was even formly a Ford certified technician. My 2 current vehicles are a 1990 Mustang GT with a worked 306 and 4 wheel disc brakes and a 1977 F150 4x4 with gears, lockers and an NP435. My new project with the truck is swapping over the 1993 4.9 engine, computer, harness, fuel tank and lines from a complete donor truck I bought. I wanted to start this thread so I can post information to everyone about the projects ups and downs and share some first hand experience with the technicial side of things. Also if anyone else has ever done this before or is curious what its about please feel free to add to this post. I do have 1 request or question right off the bat...... The clutch equilizer rod on my 1977 that feeds the NP435 is slipped right into a boss in the side of the engine block. The newer 1993 F150 is an automatic but the casting of the block is different so that this boss for that shaft is not there. Could someone email or post a picture of the clutch setup from theyre truck so I can get a better idea what Ford cranked out over the years?????????? Im thinking that something like an 1984-1987 truck might have a similair setup. Thanks to all and keep on eye on this post cause it will turn out great.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like a fun swap, I'll be watching. I swapped a fuel injected 3.1 from a Firebird into a carbureted 2.8 Blazer. Slightly more involved than your swap since I had to deal with the anti theft system, but still pretty easy. The manual equipped '87-'96 F150s have a hydraulic clutch system with the clutch master cylinder bolted to the firewall and the rod passing through to the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal has a shaft that allows the master cylinder to come through the firewall to the right (looking forward) of the gas pedal. There's a plastic line that connects the master to the slave. The M5OD '88-'96 has a concentric slave cylinder inside the bellhousing. The '92-'96 M5OD has stronger gears than the earlier ones but no provisions for a speedometer cable, although I have been told you can add the speedometer cable with a '88-'91 tailshaft housing. Of course this is for 2WD. The '87 and earlier TOD 4 speed has an external slave cylinder. I'm not familiar with the other manuals offered.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

I am very familiar with most all of the hydraulic clutch assemblies, maybe the correct question is..... Could someone post or email me a picture of a mechanical clutch assembly on a fuel injected 4.9 if it exsists????? It might come down to the fact that the carbed inlines were mechanical clutch and a different block than the newer fuel injected ones which would mean busting out my welder to fab up a bracket if I wanted to reuse the NP435. The other thing I noticed is that the 1993 block has 3 bolt holes which are not used and located close to the area the shaft slides into the 1977 block. Could someone maybe also post a pic of what is mounted there on a manual fuel injected truck or at least tell me what is bolted there if anything? Thanks again, Chris
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys call this fun! Wish I was younger, I'd be down on the ground with yas.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
You guys call this fun! Wish I was younger, I'd be down on the ground with yas.

LOL, thats funny Bill, and you know whats sad, im only 24 and I was thinking why did I get myself into this after swapping over 4 - 35" M/T's in the yard from truck to truck to get mine in the garage. Im gonna be in a wheel chair by the time Im 40 if I keep this **** up
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hear ya, just watch out for your knees, abused mine way to much, wouldn't listen. Am still in pretty good shape (beer belley and all), just tough getting up and down. Keep in touch with Sean, that young man knows his s-it. Will be watching.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM
We'd do it

My truck is an '87, the earliest fuel injected 4.9. There is nothing bolted to those three bolts. I had the TOD 4 speed in it when I got it and swapped in the M5OD 5 speed. As far as I know all fuel injected trucks were hydraulic clutches.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM

I figured as much, Im going to call Advance Adapters to see what they say since they make bellhousings and adapter plates for put Chevy engines, to Ford transmissions, to toyota dual t-cases, im sure they"ll have something. So you have a hydraulic clutch then right?? Correct me if Im wrong but I thought that all 5 speeds had an internal slave cylinder, but where was the slave on your 4 speed transmission?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
We'd do it

Yes, the M5OD has the concentric slave in the bellhousing and my TOD had the external slave. I used the M5OD clutch system, slightly modified.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

So where did the external slave cylinder mount on the 4 speed trans you use to have? Im wondering if I might be better off converting the manual clutch on the NP435 to hydraulic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Injected 4.9 Engine Swap into 1977 F150