Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Flat Black Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 PM
F-150 Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Black Paint Job

Was thinking about Painting my '85 F-150 a Flat Black With a '70 Boss Mustang Decal Theme in a Charcoal Grey. Any suggestions on where to get the paint????? I am greatful for all the help.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Flat black with white wagon wheels would look sweet.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Sleeper Agent

Wassup fellow baytownian. I am currently looking for a good paint and body shop atm around the dirt bay. I'll let you know if I find anything. Not sure of any places that do custom paint jobs yet.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM

If you are looking for the paint to DIY check out eastwood (www.eastwooco.com) they sell flat black paint which is real paint not primer good stuff reasonably priced. You can also google Hot Rod Flatz, they make a good line of flat paint for rods.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM
sel

i read in a paint mag once that the paint they usued in the 70s was the equivilant of our tremclad thind out 50% with paint thinner...i seen pics of the car they tryed it with and it looked good
Old 11-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JDunman79
Was thinking about Painting my '85 F-150 a Flat Black With a '70 Boss Mustang Decal Theme in a Charcoal Grey. Any suggestions on where to get the paint????? I am greatful for all the help.
I personally don't like the look, but to each his/her own. If you can't find a source, you might want to stop by a Harley dealer and find out what paint they use on the Dynas, Sportsters and V-Rods with the flat paint. Keep in mind that they might refer you to a paint shop as many don't do their own work but at least you'd have a contact that could get you info.

Another option is to look in that primitive thing called a phone book and look for an automotive paint supplier in your area. They would be able to look up what you're looking for.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
American Pride!!

Hokie youre a F@#%!@# GENIUS, Im glad you could help.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by swampfishin
Hokie youre a F@#%!@# GENIUS, Im glad you could help.
Thanks (I think). Not a genius, just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Well I could have said we have this modern thing called the Internet and search engines to find a local paint shop but what's the fun in that! ;-) Hence the (bad?/good?) attempt at humor.

But on the more serious side, Harley dealers are usually good places to go for all sorts of fun things (chrome, leather, loud machines, hot women , etc) that any excuse is a good one to go, even if you're not into Harley's
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience the flat paints collect dirt and are almost impossible to clean you could try using a satin finish, these have a minor sheen and will not let dirt into the paint.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Dunman, i just bought an 86 that was the factory black with silver two tone, well in the trucks old nature the black is holding on and the silver fell off to reveal the primer, so i was gonna go flat black with the primer strip being transformed to camo , let me know what you all think!

Quick Reply: Flat Black Paint Job