Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Ethanol gas and affected systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Ethanol gas and affected systems

I read once the mechanical fuel pump on carbureted engines have a leather diaphragm that deteriorates with ethanol use. I've also read that steel tanks (86 & earlier) are also bad since the ethanol attracts water and causes the steel to rust (same with steel fuel lines). For these reasons, I always fill up with 100% gasoline.

Are these valid information points that I've read before? What would I need to change/upgrade to run ethanol reliably?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Same as I've always heard. It'll also gum up the carb something terrible if it sits to long. There are a couple stations here that sell "boat gas" gas without ethanol in it. If you can avoid it don't use ethanol gas in a carbureted vehicle, if you can't at least don't let it sit with it in it.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only issues I have notice over the last 38 years is gaskets,hardened rubber fuel lines and oxidation inside the carb due to the additive [ethanol]. It started about 2-3 years after the oil companies introduced it.

as far as it rusting the tank and steel lines,I have not seen any evidence at this time. lots of rust on the outside though.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ethanol gas and affected systems