Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Dual Tank Fuel System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Tank Fuel System Issues

Newbie here....I have a 1977 F150 (family heirloom - Gramps bought it new back in the day) 6cyl.
Truck has twin tanks, which I believe (not sure) was an aftermarket install by the dealer - the transfer toggle switch is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
Anyway, I am unable to draw fuel from the front tank at all. The fuel gauge will swap over and show full (and the tank is full) when I flip the switch, but the fuel will still draw from the rear tank.
Also, even with gauge drooping below 'E' on the rear tank, I've never been able to get more than 7.5 gallons into it on filling. Probably a gauge problem instead of a vent problem, but I haven't been willing to keep driving it until it runs dry.
Finally (whew), I recently took it to a local shop (good guys, but they admitted they were NOT excited to work on this problem). They took a look, decided it would need parts they didn't have, and gave it back to me (no charge). Unfortunately, they apparently reactivated something that shouldn't have been, as the battery is now dead. So there is an electrical component to this as well.
Just wondering if anyone has worked through these kinds of fuel problems before. Hope the post made sense.
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooooo k

# 1;

check to see if fuel is able to come out of the front tank.
on my dads 82 the steel fuel line was rusted shut [was not used for many years]
if fuel does come out that's good.
next check to see if there's power to the selector valve,if that's good replace the valve.

the sending unit went bad in the rear tank
involves pulling the tank and replacing the drop tube assembly

no clue what the shop guys did to cause the electrical issue
might ask them what they messed with to give you an idea were to look

something that will help is a Hanes manual. loads of info in them

hope this helps

and welcome to the site

Mike

Quick Reply: Dual Tank Fuel System Issues